Help With Mmfondant

Decorating By christinarh Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 11:34am by christinarh

christinarh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinarh Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I'm Christina and I'm pretty new here! I'm 18, soon 19 and from Norway. I'm pretty new at cake decorating too, and I have a question.

Yesterday I was going to make some MMFondant to test it and just try to make it. I found a recipe online (http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.html ) and was going to try that one. But I had some Marshmallow fluff lying around from making candy gifts for my family this christmas, so I thought, why not try that one, seeing as it basically is liqiud marshmallows^^
So I did and it all went great, I started with icing sugar and added the Fluff and knead knead knead, the end result looked just like the pics of fondant and I colored it and stuff and everything was great:p

So I stuff it in the fridge in airtight ziplock bag and lotsa plastic wrap and go to sleep.

So today I thought I was gonna try make some stuff, and I take it out and they're harder but not stonehard, I knead the fondant a bit and whoop, it's all mushy and sticky again. I tried making a chicken after I found Lorraine's (Aine2 on youtube, and I know she's a member here too) video, but the poor thing just ended up a tiny lump looking very miserable..

Now my question is, did I do something wrong or does Fluff just not work for this kind of thing? I tried adding more sugar but it just cracked and wasn't smooth anymore so I don't think I can add more sugar.. Also, do any of you know if Crisco sells to Norway?

If it doesn't work I still have left to try the recipe, so any tips will be appreciated!! Oh and I hope this is in the right forum area... ^^
LL

9 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 10

I've never made it with Fluff before. You dont need to put it in the refrig though. Just letting is rest overnight on the counter is fine. If it is too hard to work with at first, try microwaving it for 5 seconds before you start adding any more ingredients.

There are several diff recipes on here.
Here is one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-0-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 10

I remember asking my mom if I could have just used the fluff too but she said that there's something missing from the fluff that the marshmellows have. ( I can't remember what though icon_sad.gif ) I've made many a batch of MM fondant and they always come out great. Not sure about the crisco to Norway though...

christinarh Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 10

That makes sense, Fluff is liquid så maybe it doesn't have some hardening stuff?
I'll def try the real recipe next time.. Thanksicon_smile.gif

supermom2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermom2_3 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 10

I typically use marshmallow fluff to make MMF and do not usually have that problem. Although I have when I ended up needing to add more sugar.... if it is cracking when you add more sugar but it is still getting mushy then I would just add a little crisco (or whatever your alternative is there) and rub it in. If you need to add lots more sugar then you may need to let it "rest" again to give it a chance to let the lumps out.
I hope someone else has more ideas/tips for you... =)
It really is a great medium and a lot of fun once you get it down. icon_smile.gif

Stella icon_biggrin.gif

christinarh Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 10

So you just add lots of sugar and some crisco then? Maybe I just added too little, I didn't know how much sugar against Fluff I needed.. With the recipes there's about twice the amount of sugar against marshmallows, but is that the same for the Fluff you think?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 10

I've never made it with the fluff so I cant speak for that...but I know from experiences in the past that I've always had to add gumpaste to my MMF if I was making something, like a character or object. It was just never stiff enough to hold the shapes of whatever I was making.
I know some people here dont add gumpaste to the MMF...but its just what works for me.

Maybe if you added some to the stuff made with fluff, it could harden up enough to make your cute little chickicon_wink.gif

christinarh Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 10

I think I'm gonna try to make a new batch tomorrow, and also try to add more sugar in the one I have, to try againicon_smile.gif

supermom2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermom2_3 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinarh

So you just add lots of sugar and some crisco then? Maybe I just added too little, I didn't know how much sugar against Fluff I needed.. With the recipes there's about twice the amount of sugar against marshmallows, but is that the same for the Fluff you think?

Yes, it is the same as the other MMF recipes, you are just using the fluff instead of the marshmallows, basically it just cuts using a microwave out of the picture. icon_smile.gif So I use a canister of fluff, a couple of teaspoons of flavor(optional) and then almost a 2# bag of powdered sugar (sifted) icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

christinarh Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:34am
post #10 of 10

It does, thank you! I tried adding more sugar yesterday and it seemed to get harder, but I didn't get to try it out, no timeicon_sad.gif
Thank you allicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%