Fondant Ruffles

Decorating By psanders76 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 10:58pm by dragonflydreams

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:44am
post #1 of 9

I want to make straight ruffles but i have no clue how to do this. Can anyone help me? icon_redface.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:08am
post #2 of 9

Welcome to cake central. There are many, many different kinds of ruffles. Can you be a bit more specific, perhaps a photo or reference?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 9

I too am not certain what you want to do with the ruffles, are they for the top of a cake like this one? These are done by rolling your fondant a bit thicker than for flower petals. I cut rectangles, say 5" wide by 3" tall. I gather the top from left to right using the 5" width. You can accordion pleat the strip by hand or lay bamboo skewers under the paste about 1/2" apart, Then place more bamboo skewers on top, just inbetween the space left by the bottom ones. Now with the index finger and thumb of both hands, left hand on the top of the bamboo skewers, right hand on the bottom ones, begin moving the sides in until they meet in the center by pinching all the top skewers together, and all the bottom at the same time. Now carefully slide out the bottom skewers, and carefully lift off the top skewers. Pick the pleated or gathered paste up in your hand and pinch the top edge together fairly tightly, that will cause the other end to fan out and that becomes your ruffle. Lay the first row on the cake top with just a bit overhanging the edge of the cake, go all the way around in a circle, the next row overlaps the first row just a bit at the back. Each row goes on this way, but to get them to stand up, gently press down on the pinched back of the ruffle till it attaches to the icing. Each row press the backs a bit more, by the time you get to the center they should be standing upright. I can't tell you exactly how many ruffles it will take, it depends on the size of your cake and how closely you place them on the cake. This was a 10" round and probably took 50 ruffles to cover. You can also make a smaller ruffle by making them only 2" tall, but I like the casual look of the larger ones. Just don't make your rectangle any longer than you can handle comfortably without it tearing the fondant. 5" is a good width for me.
LL

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:24am
post #4 of 9

That is a beautiful cake.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you BW.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Thank you BW.

sorry to highjack the thread, But I have to ask, did you make the cigarillos yourself?

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 9

Wow that is a beautiful cake.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 9

No BW, I purchase them. They are too time consuming to make and I know if I buy them from Marque Foods they will all be the same length and thickness. I am guessing they are rolled by machine. Here's a link, scroll down to LU Pencils and Mona Lisa Cigarettes.
http://marquefoods.com/chocdecor.htm

And, thank you ssunshine.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 9

. . . great link . . . thanx for sharing thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%