Fondant Ribbons...?

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 10:18am by wgoat5

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 5

When using fondant to make ribbons or stripes on your cake, how do you cute it to get it so perfect? Do you use a pasta machine? or just a ruler and exacto or pizza cutter? I see these perfect looking cakes and mine don't come out anywhere near looking perfect... My stripes are never perfect darnit!
Thanks for helping out a newbie!

4 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 5

the old tip.....measure twice, cut once!

I now have a stainless steel 5 wheel cutter that I use. It used to be just straight edge and a ruler.
Wilton has a roller cutter that you can equally space rollers to cut the stripes. I used a 40% coupon to get one at Michaels, now I don't even use it. It is sometimes a pain in the rear to take it apart and put it together in different configuration.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:56am
post #3 of 5

I ordered a FMM multi ribbon cutter set recently http://beryls.com/p6266/MULTI_RIBBON_CUTTER_SET/8/product_info.html

I really admire this ladies work so I asked her what she used to make such wonderful lines - I was using an exacto and a ruler... So, for $12.95 I figured I could give it a shot icon_smile.gif I just got it, but it should be great

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:34am
post #4 of 5

I have the Wilton cutter. I'm not having very good luck with it. Depending on which way it's turned, the nut at the end will loosen or the whole thing will sort of jam up. (If anyone knows how to make it work better, please tell me icon_biggrin.gif) It does make nice even strips though. The sides don't come out as smooth as I want them, so I have to smooth them with a clay tool. I roll the fondant on a silicone mat, which is why I decided to try the plastic cutter.

My pasta machine only has the spaghetti and fettucini cutters, so I wouldn't be able to use it for any ribbon wider than 1/4 inch. I use the pasta machine for gumpaste but I don't bother for fondant.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:18am
post #5 of 5

Ateco Multi strip ribbon cutter!!!! I love mine. For 24.00 it was the best investment I had made at the time. You can cut up to 4 3 inch wide strips or even smaller icon_wink.gif

I didn't have good luck with the Wilton cutter either icon_sad.gif in fact, I don't have much luck with any of the Wilton things GRRR

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%