Glad I Took The Order!

Business By ccr03 Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 2:13am by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 9

So this lady calls me for a cake on Sunday. I really didn't feel like doing the cake since it's Easter and all, but I also didn't want to turn her down. Well, I went with my initial response and called her back and told her I couldn't. I talk to my sister and she tells me that I should have said yes (she also has a small busines - MUCH more established than me!).

Well, I decided to call her back and tell her that I can fit her in. Boy, am I glad I did! She's a family member of a very good regular customer and wants a cake for 50 people! I told her I could do a simple two-tiered cake and she was like that' fine - doesn't even care about the design (probably because she's knows it's last minute & she's knows my work). Anyway, I already have everything at home and I'm a cake mix person so I only have to buy one box of mix and a dozen eggs - I have everything else!

Just wanted to share! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

8 replies
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes ya' get lucky that way! Once in a while I have to go againt my instinct and take a last minute order, most people understand and are extra grateful for helping them out. That can be better advertisement than someone that planned ahead!
thumbs_up.gif -Lori

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 9

I am with ya on that one Lori! I just got an order last week for a mother that was desperate for a snare drum cake! She was almost going to go down to Chicago to get a cake like that one I finished today. I ended up with the money instead of the Chicago baker and she will be calling me again in June!

Sometimes our minds don't want to work too well for our business! icon_lol.gif

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

Last minute orders are hard to say no to for me. Even though I complain about people waiting to the last minute icon_biggrin.gif
Congrats on the extra order for June!
Follow your gut and you will always come out ahead

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:57am
post #5 of 9

i love last minute orders!

i've usually got the cake in freezer already....and the last minute people are sooo NOT PICKY.

one lady said i should call my shop "cakes 911".

i even did a wedding cake on the same day once....luckily i already had the cakes in the freezer from a cancellation or i couldn't have done it.

that was sad...i answered the phone to someone just sobbing like crazy....the friend said she knew how to make wedding cakes.....need i say more?....some stuff should be left to the pros.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:22am
post #6 of 9

It's after 1 a.m. and I'm still up decorating cookies, thanks to hubby getting last minute orders from his work. I can't complain though. He has supported me 100% and this might also bring in future orders (already have an order for a cake from someone and I'm not doing cakes yet, but they tasted my 'two peas' sample cake).

Last minute orders:
Pros- money.
Cons- no sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

ccr03 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 9

I know exaclty what you mean! I've had one lady that contacted me 4 weeks ahead for a birthday cake and took forever to finalize the design. And I'm off today so I'll doing my baking today for this weekend and next.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 9

I had 2 last minute cake orders this weekend and they both called on Saturday wanting cakes for Easter Sunday. Did I say no (even though I had 10 orders booked for Sunday) No way I baked those cakes and lost some sleep in the process. icon_wink.gif

I already have a large order confirmed and deposit in hand from a person who tried one of my last min. cakes and wants a wedding cake for November. icon_biggrin.gif

Last minute orders are okay if you can do them and not lose quality or your sanity in the process. If you overextend yourself you will do poor work and you won't get the referrals you could have.

Know when to say NO!

ccr03 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 9

funbun - that is very true!! Thankfully everything turned out good with the order.

Oh, and I took another last minute order. She called me Friday and needed the cake for SATURDAY! I was off Friday so I took the order - and I'm glad I did, she's planner and needs a cake person for a wedding in December and a quinceanera in November!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%