Help Covering A Square Cake In Fondant

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm by hwnhulahands

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 14

I recently purchased a set of the magic line square pans, (love them) for my daughters birthday, I was hoping to get nice straight edges but after I covered the cakes in fondant all my edges came out very rounded. This was my first time covering a square cake and I have another one to do in two days any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

13 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 14

i chill them slightly before applying the fondant and then use 2 opposing smoothers to work the edges and top corners to perk them up.

HTH

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 14

The Flawless Fondant DVD shows the whole process. It's a great DVD!! Anyone who has done or will ever do fondant should have a copy. She shows how to get perfect fondant covered cakes with perfect corners.
It answered all my questions in detail.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 14

I'll second MommaLlama's recommendation. That DVD is excellent.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:30am
post #5 of 14

Aine2 has also created a free, quick tutorial video on how to cover square cakes with fondant. You can find it here:

" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">

It's easy to follow, and it's free!

HTH,
~ Scott

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 14

i too have sharons dvds on buttercream and fondant love love love them but if 2sweetcookies doesn,t have them then on

this lady has a video on covering a square cake it is really helpful and then on atecousa.com he is covering a round one hope this helps i do say that sharon is awesome !!!!her dvd's are from start of the cake to the finish on the buttercream and fondant i was tired for her on the fondant one she,s so tiny rolling out all that fondant so we can be our best

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 14

I also make sure any cake I'm covering is well chilled because I use a normal layer of icing underneath the fondant. If the icing's not hard then the edges will droop. I find all shortening buttercreams may need a trip to the freezer to stay sharp in the corners. I usually us Toba Garrett's French Vanilla under my fondant and that gets very hard in the fridge because it's all butter. Perfect for putting under fondant.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14

If you really want square corners, I'd use two pieces of fondant... Roll out one long piece(or a couple shorter ones) to cover the sides, then roll out a piece for the top. You'll have to be careful trimming the top, but you should be able to blend the pieces with a little bit of work.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

2sweetcookies Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 14

Thank yo everyone I will check out the web sites and consider the DVD's. I do chill the cakes but I thought the fondant had to go on as soon as you put on the buttercream so it will adhere, do I chill after the buttercream goes on?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 14

yes, i crumb coat; then pop in freezer for 6-8 minutes then cover.

2sweetcookies Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 14

for some reason I can't get videos to play , BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 14

That video was really helpful. I didnt know how to tuck the corners under. Now I do. icon_lol.gif

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 14

That video was really helpful. I didnt know how to tuck the corners under. Now I do. icon_lol.gif

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 14

I was wondering how this was done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%