In Need Of A Great Chocolate Cake Recipe

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 8:44am by kiwigirly

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 15

I tried confetti cakes chocolate cake recipe and it was dry...so either I want an all scratch cake or one like wasc where you start out with a box and add a whole bunch of scratch stuff to it....i am doing a cake coming up in two weeks and they want chocolate as one of the layers and I just havent found a good one yet...please help!

April :0)

14 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 15

I really like the one off the back of the Hershey's cocoa can!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I really like the one off the back of the Hershey's cocoa can!

Yep... the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake.. it's a winner... and the icing is really good too.......

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 15

Try this one it is AMAZING! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101275

I have had disastrous (sp?) results with Chocolate cake, always dry no matter what I did, BUT this recipe is AWESOME!! The first time i made it i didnt seperate everything like the recipe says and it still came out perfect! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 15

Mayonnaise cake is good and moist. It was always our favorite as kids and still is to this day. Don't let the mayo scare you. It is nothing but emulsified oil and egg. That is why the cake is moist.
If you want me to I can post my recipe.
Mary

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 15

I would love the recipe for your mayonaise cake. I also keep trying chocolate cake recipes and can't find one that I like. I find ones I like the texture and ones I like the taste but not both! icon_smile.gif

Kim

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 15

Mrs. Saul's chocolate cake recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-21921.html

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipes:
(Doctored box and scratch.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11759-.html

HTH

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 15

That Hershey's Chocolate one is awesome. I tried it about a month ago and been in love with it since. It is sooo yummy. This lady used butter and vanilla extracts in her wilton buttercream with it and it was to die for.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 15

My absolute favorite chocolate cake is this one:
http://www.apocalypse.org/~steve/sweet/rccake.html
Donât be scared by the coffee â it only enhances the flavor of chocolate, and you canât really taste it. Works best for me if all ingredients are at room temperature. Makes a huge cake, too.

Edited to add:
Iâve seen rave reviews of this recipe here on CC, so I intend to try it sometime soon:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107105

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:38am
post #10 of 15

I start with a DH chocolate fudge cake mix, add 4 eggs, double the oil it calls for, 1 box of chocolate fudge pudding mix, and 1C of water with 3T instant espresso(or coffee) powder mixed in. I also add 1t vanilla and 1/2t almond extracts.

Beat eggs until light yellow in color, slowly add oil until it emulsifies. Add pudding mix and extracts. Add 1/2 cake mix and half water until blended. Add the last half cake mix and water. Blend on medium speed for 3 minutes. Bake at 335 until toothpick comes out clean.

I've always gotten RAVE reviews for this one. Especially with the Baker's One Bowl chocolate Frosting recipe on the box. TO DIE FOR!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmom2boys

I would love the recipe for your mayonaise cake. I also keep trying chocolate cake recipes and can't find one that I like. I find ones I like the texture and ones I like the taste but not both! icon_smile.gif

Kim

GRANDMA'S MAYONNAISE CAKE

Sift with beater
2 c flour 1 c sugar 1/2 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt

Add
1 c mayo 1 c water 1 tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth (2 minutes). Bake in 2 8" round pans for 30 minutes at 350*. Double for 9x13 and cook for 45 minutes.

We always had it with chocolate fudge frosting and a tall glass of milk.

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks. Can't wait to try the cake!!

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 15

I use a box chocolate cake mix. I use cooled coffee instead of the water. If it calls for 1 and 1/3 cups of water use coffee instead. It gives it a great deep flavor. It is really moist too. All my clients love it. You also can chop chocolate up too and add it to the batter for a little something extra!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:54am
post #14 of 15

I adore chocolate cake and this has been a favorite ever since we got the recipe, it was a blue ribbon award winner at a local fair years ago, it has become my regular pot luck offering and everyone loves it! Now I don't know how it'll stand up to real cake decorating, I'm new to this and I only ever do it as a 2 layer wih frosting icon_smile.gif Good luck! I'm so happy I can actually post a helpful reply.

Chocolate Heaven Cake
⢠ 3 cups packed brown sugar
⢠ 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
⢠ 4 eggs
⢠ 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
⢠ 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
⢠ 3/4 cup baking cocoa
⢠ 1 tablespoon baking soda
⢠ 1/2 teaspoon salt
⢠ 1 1/3 cups sour cream
⢠ 1 1/3 cups boiling water

1.  In a mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with sour cream to creamed mixture. Mix on low just until combined. Stir in water until blended. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes (For cupcakes, bake around 15-20 minutes,). Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

kiwigirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigirly Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:44am
post #15 of 15

This recipe isn't mine, it was given to me by the person I buy my cake decorating supplies from, it was given to her by a friend who makes and decorates cakes for a living. I used it for my cousin's wedding cake and everyone loved it. It is like chocolate heaven!

Chocolate Mud Cake

250 g butter chopped
250 g cooking chocolate chopped
1 Tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups self raising flour sifted
1/2 cup cocoa sifted

Preheat oven to 160. Grease and line a 28cm round cake pan.

Combine butter and chocolate and double boil over low heat.

Dissolve coffee in boiling water.

Add coffee and sugar to choclate mix, stir until disolved and cool in a bowl for 10 mins.

Using electric beater, gradually add eggs, flour and then cocoa. Mix for a further 2 minutes or until evenly mixed.

pour in cake pan and bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours, and test with skewer.

Cool in tin for 1 - 1/2 hours before turning out on wire rack.

Really really important she has told me to stress to you to make sure you leave it in the tin for the 1 - 1 1/2 hours to cool before turning out until it sets properly, so it doesnt break as turn out. She has also said not to leave it longer than 1 1/2 hours or it starts to stick to the pan making it hard to get out.

This isn't the easiest recipe or cake to make but the taste is just gorgeous, it gets better with age and freezing just helps make it even better once defrosted. I doubled the recipe to make a 12" (2" high Wilton pan) to get the cake to the two inch height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%