Sugarshack's Icing??

Decorating By lecrn Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm by grannys3angels

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 16

For those that use this recipe,
I've read on CC that if you use hi-ratio shortening, then the ratio of shortening should not be 1:1 (you should use less shortening than powered sugar). However, sugarshack's recipe is 1:1. I would like to make this recipe with 2 cups butter & 3 cups hi-ratio shortening. I'm not accustomed to using hi-ratio yet. So, I guess my question is what is the ratio of shortening & sugar that you would use?
Thanks!

15 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 16

I use a 1:1 ratio with the hi ratio but i do not use butter. butter has water in it and will make the icing softer, so maybe cut back by 1/2 cup and see how it does.

lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I use a 1:1 ratio with the hi ratio but i do not use butter. butter has water in it and will make the icing softer, so maybe cut back by 1/2 cup and see how it does.

Do you mean cut the shortening to 1/2 cup (total 2 & half c. shortening) or the butter (total of 1 c. butter)? I would use all shortening, but I just love the flavor that the butter gives. Do you think that the decrease in butter/shortening would make the icing not come to the top of the paddle, thus creating air pockets? Sorry for all the questions, but I just don't want to make a 5qt bowl of bc that I won't use.

Thanks so much!

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 16

I use Sugar Shack's recipe and I have tried it with butter, def cut back on some of the shortening and the liquid you have to put in, it is really just an experiment with what works for you. The butter def makes it softer, but still tastes awesome! Also, becuase Hi Ratio is hard for me to buy and store I have begun using 2 c Crisco and 2 c Pre Creamed Shortening with AWESOME results, it is light and fluffy and doesn't have a heavy greasy feel.

stephi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephi17 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 16

Dezzib,
Where do you get "pre creamed shortning"? Is it just something you do to it? I'm just getting a 5qt, and have been dying to try SugarShack's icing, and this concept is very interesting to me. I won't be able to easily get hi-ratio shortening either. icon_sad.gif
Thanks!

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 16

I found it at my grocery store Winco. It is just a store brand, and cheaper than Crisco too. I tried using all Crisco or all Pre Creamed, but didn't like the result. The brans is Shoppers Value, and I use a mix of Half and HAlf and Whipping Cream instead of Creamer. This is what the person who gave me the recipe says about the shortening:

"I use CRISCO shortening and then I use a more pre-creamed brand called, MRS. TUCKER'S. It no longer says pre-creamed on the labels. This is a company out of Tennessee and they also make the brands, SWIFT or BAKE RITE and both of these brands are just like Mrs. Tucker's....and some of the Wal-Mart stores do carry these brands, depending on location in the country. So not sure some of you can get this or not.....but when looking at your grocery stores....look for a pre-creamed type. It will be a bit stiffer (or should be) and really white in color! This works great for not making your frosting an off white. If you find a pre-creamed brand and it's dull in color or looks very greasy....then don't use it. "

Basically I blended Sharon's recipe and another to work without the Hi Ratio, it performs just as well as Hi Ratio, and Sharon's techniques are PRICELESS!!!! THANK YOU SHARON!!

lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzib27

I use Sugar Shack's recipe and I have tried it with butter, def cut back on some of the shortening and the liquid you have to put in, it is really just an experiment with what works for you. The butter def makes it softer, but still tastes awesome! Also, becuase Hi Ratio is hard for me to buy and store I have begun using 2 c Crisco and 2 c Pre Creamed Shortening with AWESOME results, it is light and fluffy and doesn't have a heavy greasy feel.

I actually have made the recipe using butter & Crisco too. I didn't need to use as much liquid as the recipe called for. I liked the taste and smoothness but wanted to make it using hi-ratio shortening so that I could achieve a more flawless bc.

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 16

I also tried making it with butter (baby shower cake) and I noticed a complete difference in the texture. I had a terrible time smoothing it. I used the same amount of liquid because I didn't know any better.

The butter would separate when left at room temp. I recently used some leftover that had been sitting in the freezer and it separated again at room temp. And, once again, it was difficult to smooth.

Not the same gratification I had when icing previous cakes made with Sugarshack's recipe without the butter.

I also like using butter, but I love using Sugarshack's icing as is. I'm planning on using Lorann butter flavor and maybe even experimenting with clarified butter.

lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 16

I wonder if yours separated b/c you used so much liquid. I didn't consider that butter would add more water to the buttercream.
I just made some using 2c butter (salted & unsalted) and decreased the shortening to 3/4 cup (3, 3/4 cups). I also added about a half more cup of sugar. I think that the total liquid that I used was about 7-8 TBS. The taste is great & the texture is pretty smooth. I'm going to use it tomorrow on a cake, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Next time I may try only using a cup of butter.
I didn't know that LorAnn made a butter flavor. I've used the Wilton butter flavor & wasn't crazy about it.
This may be a stupid question, but what is clarified butter?
Thanks

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:34am
post #10 of 16

lecrn: I'de love to know how this comes out.

I've only used Wilton butter extract until now. I just received my order from Country Kitchens: I ordered CK Imitation butter flavor and also Lorann Clear Butter Extract.

I haven't used it yet. I'll be giving the Lorann a try next week.

Clarified butter is butter that has been melted slowly until the milk fat and water separates. You remove the top by spooning it out and then pour out the butter, carefully, leaving the milk fat behind. Or you can use strainer. I haven't done it yet, but I've watched my mother do it for other recipes.

Good luck on the cake!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 16

Hey Sharon!

If you are reading this: I was trying to pull up your website and accidentally went to: www.sugarshack.com

It is NAUGHTY!!! LOL icon_redface.gif

Be careful not to make the same mistake people's....!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:09am
post #12 of 16

icon_surprised.gif

lecrn Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 16

[quote="zenu"]lecrn: I'de love to know how this comes out.

Okay, here's the cake. I wasn't totally satisfied with the bc. It was too fluffy if that makes sense (tasted wonderful though). I think that I may try it next time with just a cup of butter or buy some butter flavor. Oh, the search for the perfect bc goes on!
I didn't really like the colors of this cake, but it's what the customer wanted. I suggested a white cake, but she didn't want it to look like a wedding cake.
LL

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:22pm
post #14 of 16

Oh WOW!! Lecrn, your cake looks awesome, I think you did a wonderful job with it.

Lecrn saidicon_sad.gif I think that I may try it next time with just a cup of butter or buy some butter flavor.)

Thats all I have ever used is the butter flavoring, and it taste great with the flavoring. I use 3 to 4 tablespoons of butter flavoring & 1 of french vanilla blend to a full batch. Everyone here loves the taste and flavor.

This is just one of the many reason I LOVE Sharon's BC recipe, it is all non-dairy and it can keeps for a very long time. Oh, when I use the flavor combo above...I will use the french vanilla coffee creamer powder.

Also I have learn after using Sharon's recipe for over a year, that the more I made it, the better I got at knowing if the texture was to thin or thick, by the look or sound of my mixer. I think also sometimes, the weather, or even the PS has a lot to with how much liquid I have to use.

Again, Lecrn your cake looks beautiful thumbs_up.gif Sorry for being so long, now I am off to comment on your cake icon_smile.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

lecrn Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Sharon! You're so sweet!
Cake decorating truly is a lot of trial & error. Believe me, I've had a lot of error. I think that I will try it with butter flavor next time. How many total TBS of liquid do you use per batch?
Thanks,
Lisa

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 16

Thank You, Lecrn. Well it depends, sometimes if is hot here I will have to use less maybe (12-16 tbs) of liquid, and if it is cold (16-18 tbs), but mainly the amount Sharon saids for PS, hi-ratio and liquid. I add my flavoring amounts plus creamer amount to get these totals. I always start out with the amounts Sharon said, then I will check my texture...sometimes I may need more PS, other times more liquid. Depends on the texture I need.

I do like for my icing to be a little thick if using it for cakes and thiner if using it for cc's, but not by a lot for either. Also when I got to watch Sharon's YouTube video about how to make the icing, it help to open my eyes to some things I was doing wrong icon_lol.gif and it was like...oh o.k. that explains why that happen icon_smile.gif .

As you said trail and error can be one of the best ways to learn, unless we can take a class from Sharon thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif . All in all I would have to say, it's what ever recipe or what ever way works best for you and the texture you are looking for. I can say Sharon will do everything in her power to help, when ever she can. She's awesome about helping with answers, tips and info. Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Sharon

Oh, here is the link for Sharon's YouTube if you want to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%