How Do I Make This Textured Look

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm by lardbutt

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone
I have to make this cake next month. It looks simple but I did a practice run on a dumby cake and it was a lost cause. It looked horrible. I have no idea what i did wrong or that this could be so difficult. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. Can anybody help???? How do I do this look and what do I use?

Thanks
csmoore
LL

11 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 12

I haven't done this before, so maybe someone will reply that has. To me it looks like the frosting would have to be really think then take a small spatula or a spoon and go over it to make the swirls. Sorry I can't help much. Pretty cake!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 12

A small spoon works great!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 12

Use a small shallow spoon and don't overthink it! icon_smile.gif Heat the spoon in some warm water if you need to, just remember to wipe the water off the spoon with a clean towel.

Deanna

CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks everyone....more questions though....so do I ice it like normal and add a thinned out batch of BC using the spoon or do i ice like normal and then do the look with the spoon....does it matter?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 12

I am SO glad you asked this question. Funny, I have to do a cake with this same type of swirly in May. I have to practice with a small spoon now.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 12

I frost like usual then use the spoon. My frosting is not super thick. If yours is I would thin it down some. I use one of the plastic baby spoons. It works great!

CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, I'll give that a try this weekend...i have about a 100 baby spoons....thanks everybody

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 12

I did a cake with a texture, it was very hard to get just right. My cake was more textured that that(it's in my photos) but I found that making swirls and stuff were a lot harder than expected. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 12

I have never attempted this, but wouldn't it work better to let the icing crust just a little before pressing the spoon marks on?

peacockplace Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 12

In my experience, that would turn out terribly! You have to kind of swirl, not just make a spoon impression. If the icing starts crusting you don't get smooth marks, the edges of each mark are jagged. Hope that makes sense.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

In my experience, that would turn out terribly! You have to kind of swirl, not just make a spoon impression. If the icing starts crusting you don't get smooth marks, the edges of each mark are jagged. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that does make sense. I had never attemped anything like this. Now I know not TRY it after the icing has crusted. icon_lol.gif

I believe I was thinking about a technique I saw Martha Stewart do on a cake using a knife to make the impressions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%