My Own Website Yes Or No

Baking By spsjj Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm by indydebi

spsjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spsjj Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all my cookie friends......Im just starting out..Should I do my own website or not..I dont have alot of pictures right now..what do you think. You opinion means alot to me..Thanks and Happy Easter Pam

16 replies
Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 17

I get the majority of my business through my website. Even if you have to spend a whole day just making different cookies to put on the website, it's worth it. I know that a lot of people on CC have made their own websites, I think it is something called Free Webs (google it). I was lucky to have my brother and SIL make mine. I think it is the best thing to have. Yahoo is my domain and I pay $12 a month for that. I consistently get business from the internet, so if your serious about starting a business this is the way to go. If you want to check out my site it is www.rosepetalscakery.com

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 17

I definatley would have a web site. I do have freewebs but have upgraded to the Premium level. It's a great way to let people see your work. I also have an email list of my customers so every couple of months I'll send an email blast out of my most recent cakes to remind them that I'm available for any upcoming celebrations.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 17

My website is simply a gallery which is on my business cards -- that way when I'm someplace where someone wants to see my work, I just give them the address and they can look to their hearts content.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 17

I have a free website through 50megs.com At first it's alittle confusing but I love it. My problem is trying to organize my site. I think you should go for it. I don't have many pics myself but I still did it. It's good because you can tell people to go to your website and you can put your website on your business cards.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 17

I agree with Ro40! I get a lot of business from my website....and it's always fun to check the number of hits I get after a holiday of sales or a promotion! The business a website generates will more than pay for the cost of the site! Good luck!

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 17

bobwonderbuns:
which web co do you use?

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 17

Those of you with websites, I have a few questions for you icon_smile.gif

1 - How do you advertise your website?
2 - Do you get orders that you have to mail out or mainly orders that you deliver?
3 - If you mail them out, can you post some tips and tricks on doing that so the cookies don't break in route.
4 - Do you accept payment on your website and if so who proccesses the payments? Paypal or some other company?
5 - Also, when selling your cookies via your website do you have an order form right on your website?

Hopefully this information will help everyone else understand the extent of a cookie website. I know I for one am very curious about it.

Thanks,
Sabbrina

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:18am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandelmom

bobwonderbuns:
which web co do you use?

I use Homestead. They're very user friendly and have a ton of templates to choose from as well as being very affordable. Their website is www.homestead.com

ReenieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReenieK Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:24am
post #10 of 17

I use primmart Its $40 a year. I do cookie bouquets & personalized stationary. It is well worth it & I give out business cards w/ my website on them.
It is extremely easy to set up & manage.
Heres the link:
http://www.ezshoppes.com/
also first I got my domain name from godaddy

bmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmom Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 17

You might also try a blog first before you create your own website ... it would let you determine if a website would be helpful with your business without a lot of cost involved. I have a free blog at www.wordpress.com and it is easy to use and update. A blog is picked up very quickly by search engines and would allow your business to gain exposure very quickly. Good luck!

www.birthdaypartyideas4kids.com

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 17

spsjj
Are you working as a home processor? I am in upstate NY. Really not far from you, on the Bennington border. But still NY. Part of the requirement for me to be a home cookie processor is No internet sales! I said "how come"? The inspector said that lessens the chance of so many people getting sick. Hellooo!! I'm not planning on making anybody sick. But its the rule. I wonder how close they check on that. Hmmm - have to think on this

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 17

I don't know if you have a business or not. I have heard, that where I live, the inspectors are searching for locals who are not legal. And from what I hear they are catching several that way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

The inspector said that lessens the chance of so many people getting sick.

So let's see ..... if you sell cookies to 1000 people via the internet, that's bad. But if you sell cookies to 1000 people who walk into your shop, that's ok. icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdecorating

I don't know if you have a business or not. I have heard, that where I live, the inspectors are searching for locals who are not legal. And from what I hear they are catching several that way.

A caterer friend of mine got busted that way. Local HD boss said "Search the internet, find the home caterers and shut 'em down." Her website had only been up for 4 weeks.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 17

I have a website simply because I did not want to have to tote a cake book around with all my photos. I did it out of convenience. My website is through freewebs and I pay about 24 bucks a year. Cheap I think and I have my own domain (www.yumyumsbyyaya.com) for about $27. Freewebs walks you through the whole process (obtaining a domain name too) and it is super easy and user friendly.

If you want to get a lot of hits you have to be in search engines and that, from what I understand and have seen, cost money to be placed in search engines. I have been contacted by people from out of state and my area that have found me on the internet not sure how they found me though. You need to research tag words (words that people would use to search for your business) and use them in your website.

If you want to do cookie orders to mail out you need to do your homework for shipping and handling charges and times. I did it a few times and it ended up costing me more than what I charged when you get into buying boxes, filler, gas to get to the post office or ups plus shipping!

I also want to mention that if you are not licensed you need to be careful if you are advertising as a business. I am always a little nervous and try to keep my website as a place to view my hobby.

You can set up a pay pal account and have that on your website to collect payment.

HTH,
bj

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm
post #16 of 17

Having a place to view a hobby is one thing. Having your availability, location, phone number, picture of yourself and guestbook is another thing. Even if you do not have your prices listed, you have still supplied enough information for inspectors to find you if they start looking. And with that information, one would believe you are willing to sell cakes to people, legal or not.

I wouldn't even be surprised if inspectors are searching CC. You can find out things about people by what they put on here. Location, website address, experiences with customers and pricing questions are just a few I can think of. If inspectors are using the internet to bust people it is because it is easier for them to do so. All they are doing is upholding the laws. If you are abiding by them, you are okay.

And I am in no way, putting down people who are not legal and are selling cakes. I think it is ridiculous what some people, depending on your location, have to to through to become legal. Especially if they are only wanting to do a few cakes and not make it into big business. It would be nice if the laws were a little more flexible, depending on what you are intending to do and be the same for everyone. But they are not and that is not going to change.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdecorating

And I am in no way, putting down people who are not legal and are selling cakes. I think it is ridiculous what some people, depending on your location, have to to through to become legal.

All contractors start in their garage, all mechanics startin their backyard and all food people start in their home kitchen. We all start that way, even if it's just doing cakes for family.

The system is designed to almost force us ... in a lot of industries .... to do that.

You can't get a loan to start a food business until you've been in that business for 3 years. You can't be in business without a legal kitchen and you can't get a legal kitchen until you get that loan. They want to see a track record of sales, which you can't get until you get a legal kitchen, which you can't get until you get a loan, which you can't get until you've been in business 3 years, which you can't be in business 3 years until you have clients, which you can't get until you get a kitchen.....

bah-dee bah-dee bah-dee that's all folks!! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%