Non-Edible Paper On A Cake, Is This Possible?

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 6:42pm by cclips

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 8

Well, I know that I read you can put an edible image on fondant and let it dry to make a plaque. Is it possible to put a picture that is on a regular sheet of paper on fondant?

Thanks for the help.

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 8

Yepicon_smile.gif It's been done. One way is to wrap it completely in plastic wrap. What is that new stuff? Wrap & seal, Press & seal? Is it clear? It might work better.
Or you could have it laminated. Or if you don't care if it no longer usable after, black out the back and just apply w/royal icing -- well not really sure if this would work but it's a thought as a last resort.

Danishwiz Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks kakeladi. So after I wrap it in clear wrap (it's press and seal BTW, I love that stuff) just stick it on the cake?

Danishwiz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 8

Has anyone done this on a cake that you have posted so I can see what it would look like? And any tips on this?

Thanks for the help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 8

I've done it but don't have the pix anymoreicon_sad.gif
Yes, once covered just put it on the cake. The paper will be fine. I've done it w/pictures.

Sabrina293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabrina293 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 4:25am
post #6 of 8

I came across this post when trying to solve this save problem. My daughter wanted a Frozen cake with Elsa, but the colors of the character were so light that it was impossible to print an edible image. I printed a regular picture on photo paper but was concerned about the oils from the buttercream staining the paper and the ink coming in contact with the ink. Using photo adhesive (found in scrapbooking) I adhered the image to wax paper and used a hobby knife to cut the image to the shape I wanted. Then I used icing to attach the wax paper to a piece of fondant I cut to the same shape as the image and used water to attach the fondant to the cake.  I was thrilled with results and it was very easy!

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 8

Contact paper is my best friend when it comes to things like this.  If a photograph I do not want damaged, I will tape the photo to a piece of stiff paper coated with contact paper.  I then lay it on top of the cake.  If I don't need the picture/photo, I wrap the whole thing in contact paper and attach to cake with a small amount of icing.  I have done this for years and made my kids very happy.

cclips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cclips Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 8

I have laminated pictures several times (before I was able to print edible ones).  I just got the laminating pouches from Walmart, printed my image, cut it out and applied to cake.  Sometimes I would use buttercream or Royal icing, or put a buttercream border around it.  Works great, just peel off before serving.  Easy!  Sorry no pic's to share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%