Brite White Question -- Sorry Longish

Decorating By tobycat Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 11:02pm by jellybeanmichelle

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I bought something called Brite White in a tub. THe gal at the cake store said that using it makes the icing non-crusting. (She said no one would WANT to use a crusing bc to ice a cake! -- that's all I use!) Anyway, she said it would make the icing more creamy and non-crusting. Is this true? How much should I use?

Right now I use the Wilton 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio. I love it because I'm used to it and I only use the Viva method. Do I dare use this stuff?

Would it be better to use it to make flowers? Do I only need to add 2 TBS?

Ok, lots of questions -- thanks for any help!

S.

3 replies
Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:00am
post #2 of 4

One of the first recipes that I wanted to try from this site called for Brite White and I could never find any. I read about it in a thread, and I thought for sure that it was a crusting buttercream. Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-0-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html But now I'm confused (since you were told it prevents crusting)!

Good luck! I'm very curious to find out if it makes a noticeable difference in your icing!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:09am
post #3 of 4

cakemanOH does state that his recipe crusts very well. icon_smile.gif

I found Angel White icing base and use that in the Brite White recipe and it crusts just fine, also.

jellybeanmichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanmichelle Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 4

I use the brite white on all of my cakes.
It's what I was taught to use.

My frosting crusts, but probably not as much as it would without it.
The Wilton colored tube frosting gets hard, where as using the brite white doesn't do that.

When cutting into a cake, even as left-overs, the frosting is still soft and doesn't crumble like the Wilton colored frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%