Cookie Cutters

Baking By dshlent Updated 13 Jan 2013 , 5:39pm by MsMonica

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 26

I've started getting more into the cookie side of things with my business. So... I am acquiring a lot of cookie cutters. How do you all organize them. I've gotten where I forget what I have and don't have... Help... I'm not a good organizer and would love some tips....

Thanks...

25 replies
sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 26

I just have the thrown in a bin with a list of the cutters by theme. Probaby not the most organized way to deal with them all because everytime I need to look for one, I have to take them all out of the bin, but I haven't come up with a better solution. And at least with the list, you have an idea of what's in there.

cotufita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cotufita Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 26

Hi there.
I think that organizing the cookie cutters by theme is a godd idea, I mean, by Holidays: all Easter together, all Christmas together(I have a lot of these and in different sizes, so here I'll do a subcategory icon_biggrin.gif )(laughs) Well I hope I gave you another idea. Good Luck!!!!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 26

Can I high jac this thread and just ask you cookie gals if you know of ANY scooby doo face cookies? I pm'd the lady on here who made them and never heard back, any ideas??

As far as organization-I bought one of those flip top file folder storage box-which is clear and add the new cutters to a list then drop it in, AND let me say although I keep a list I have still ordered the same cutter twice! LOL!

jkperez34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkperez34 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 26

I have a large 66 quart container. I place all cutters into gallon size storage baggies. The baggies are marked by holiday or occasion. If I need my easter cutters I just go to the container and pull out the bag that has Easter written on it. If I have more than 1 bag for the holiday or occasion I just put 1 of 2 or 2 of 2 on the bag also. I do the same for the smaller cutters I just use a different container so I know where my different sizes are.

All you need to do is organize them once. When you get a new cutter you just put it directly into the bag that fits the occasion.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 26

Iamlis,
Try Coppergifts.com I found a "monster" face which was perfect for Cookie and Elmo. They have really nice cutters!
Melissa

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 26

Iamlis,
Try Coppergifts.com I found a "monster" face which was perfect for Cookie and Elmo. They have really nice cutters!
Melissa

iamlis Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 26

Oh I love coppergifts.com! I tried looking for Scooby, now I am off to find this monster cutter NOW! THANKS A MILLION!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 26

I also keep my cutters in gallon size bags that are labeled.

I also have an inventory list of the cutters to avoid buying duplicate cutters. Hubby can download the list to his phone, so when we are out shopping, he can look up what I have and don't have.

Technology......gotta love it (when it works!)

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 26

There was a thread going on this before "The Crash of '08"-lol

I have about 550 cutters and a bunch of templates...I am fortunate enough to have a house with ALOT of built in cabinets. I organized all of my cutters in ziplocs by occasion, and placed them in photo boxes (the kind at AC Moore that were 2 for $3, that have the label spot on the front) and on the inside cover of each box i have a list of what is in there. I also have a notebook in which i have traced all of my cutters so i know which purses, shoes, easter (or whatever) cutters I have. I also keep all of my invoices from when I order cutters , so I can remember where I got them..I know that seems like a lot of work, but it really helps in organizing them all.

As far as the Scooby Doo goes...I had a heck of a time finding one about a year ago..I ended up making a template! I hope you have better luck icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 26

WOW, great ideas chqtpi! And thanks for being such a downer on my Scooby!! LOL! ONLY TEASING! I saw the monster cutter that would make a perfect elmo! BUT the frankenstien is what I bought-flip him upside down and WHOLA-SCOOBY! You guys are great!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 26

Ok, and my family calls me a neat freak!!! I love all the organizing ideas!! The Ziplocs in the bin is a really great idea. I don't think I could pull off all the different boxes (although that is a goal I'd love to attain).

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 26

I have a pegboard where I organized my cookie cutters.
I'll try to attach a picture...
LL

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:47am
post #14 of 26

I have lots of cutters that I keep in plastic shoe boxes from the Container Store.:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=71227&PRODID=61479

I can get three "layers" of cutters in each box. I wash and dry my cutters before going in. Since I've been using these I've no longer had problems with rusting. The cutters/ boxes are divided into categories such as:
Christmas (3 of these)
fashion
sports
princess
home (telephone, mixer, houses, etc.)
food
transportation
baby
etc., etc., ...
I put a label on both sides and the top of each box. I stack these in a closet and can easily see the labels from any angle.

I keep a running list on my computer. Each category has sublists. Christmas
Angel
Copper - 5
tin - 3, 4, 5

candy cane
copper - 6 whimsy
tin - 3
coated - 3

I have a three-ring binder that I keep these printed lists in. I also trace my cutters and make photocopies. I call these my cookie coloring pages. When I want to try something different, I print off a sheet of them and draw out my designs. I know what I want to do and how many icing colors I'll need. This is great for kids, too.

I also have an idea binder. I keep photos of my cookies along with others I find on the web. Cut-outs from magazines, newspapers, etc. Anything I think might make a cute cookie. I always try to make things my own, but inspiration can come from anywhere. I hope this helps and isn't more information than you wanted. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:57am
post #15 of 26

Honeydukes ....You are really organized !!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Honeydukes ....You are really organized !!

It's the only part of my life that is!!! I can tell you where my heart with wings cutter is, but I can't find my favorite summer purse, mini tripod, ...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:41pm
post #17 of 26

Honeydukes.. Im right there with ya ! I have 6/20qt tubs with all of my cutters in them and a list on each tub saying whats in it ! But your one up on me with th rest of it ! Then again , I also cant find my favorite pair of summer shorts etc ! I have been wanting to look for, just in case the weather gets nice ! I hope I still fit into them ! But back to the cutters ! I still have to hunt through each tub for a certain cutter , even if that tub is all xmas, or food shapes etc ! Grrrrrrrrr!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #18 of 26

I have mine in plastic containers like many have said, but I HATE it! It annoys me to no end, digging through the whole containe to get one cutter out! I would love love love to have them hanging by pegs in the kitchen, but there is no wall space for that.

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 26

WOW!!! Thank you for all your help! I have some work ahead of me now!! icon_smile.gif

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 26

I have 100's of cutters now too......someone sugessted to do a spread sheet and big zip lock bags

momcobb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcobb Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 5:33am
post #21 of 26

I go to the dollar store and buy "plastic shoe boxes".  I label each one with what type, like most of you do and I also number them, since I might have two of Christmas, but didn't need another shoe box until later.  That way I can cross reference by box number or box name.  Instead of tracing my cutters, I take a digital picture and print it out on my b/w printer.  As for cookie cutters that come in big boxes (like the Williams-Sonoma star wars), I keep them in the box.  I then put them in a BIG (4' X 2') rubbermaid tub, which I label on the outside.  Also, I try to buy colored tubs (orange, red, green..et) to put each category of cutters in ( like orange for Halloween), since I don't have a lot of storage space, the tubs go out in the garage.  Each tub is labeled with what number shoe box is in it.  I also do this with most of my baking equipment also.

By the way, when I print my pictures out, I print to PDF first, because it can be opened on almost anything.  I have a Sony tablet that I take with me every where and if I want to look at my list, all I have to do is open the PDF.  I'm also thinking about making a database, so I can search for them easily.

By the way, I just found out that if you go to:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12173708#showReviews

You get

Little Miss Muffin Pets Foil Bag

that comes with a little toy and a cookie cutter for .98 cents.  You won't know which one you will get, but if you can manage ordering 20-30, you should get at least one set of each one and probably two sets.  These also make nice party favors for little kids or girls.

Have a good day

Oh yeah, other than copper gifts, does any one know where I can buy a scalloped square cc?  I refuse to pay $15 for one cc.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 7:02am
post #22 of 26

I use 12x12 scrapbooking storage containers like this:

They stack gorgeously, fit nicely in my cabinet or guest room closet shelves, and are pretty inexpensive.  I have them sorted by theme as well.  (Food, Christmas, Basic Shapes, Ocean, etc.)  I put a label on the front, and whenever I buy a new cutter, I add it to the list on the front of the box so I can see at a glance exactly what is in there.

FYI, these boxes are also awesome for storing dough balls for a big pizza party (I built a wood-fired oven in the backyard).  

carlajb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlajb Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 8:55am
post #23 of 26

AI use the 12x12 scrapbook paper storage cases as well, but I put a sheet of card stock in the middle so I have two sides and can just flip it over to see what is inside.

shreya19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shreya19 Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 11:34am
post #24 of 26

A cookie cutter in American English and biscuit cutter in Commonwealth English is a tool to cut out cookie/biscuit dough in a particular shape. They are often used for seasonal occasions when well-known decorative shapes are desired, or for large batches of cookies where simplicity and uniformity are required. Cookie cutters have also been used for, among other uses, cutting and shaping tea sandwiches.

xoxodeexoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxodeexoxo Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:36am
post #25 of 26

AI happen to come across this forum and start reading some posts before I plan on searching for the post I am looking for. After reading the entire post, I really like the idea of tracing the cookie cutter and even photo copying it and storing it in a binder. I tend to print picture and print articles if I find them interesting. I also have them all I. Folder including other papers like, diff tips and do's and do nots that I've read, liked and copied in a word doc. and just printed it out to put with the rest of the photos of cake, cookies, fondant or gum paster figures or flowers, print outs that I created of techniques, step by step on how to create certain figures.... In my binder I plan on not only adding all my stuff and using dividers to put them all in different sections. Also with of course recipes and a notebook or pad to sketch down my own thoughts of sketches,

Just thought d share that is a great idea to keep and trace the cookie cutters. Some pics can even help with your cutter, I've used index card paper to trace with the X knife and even a razor blade...it was one of the best cookies and not the easiest! But one tip i just came across and planned to use for Christmas cookies is to use PHOTO paper . It is a lot harder and steady. We'll see. I think I've tried wax paper also!

Good luck!

Dee

MsMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMonica Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 5:39pm
post #26 of 26

I'm barely getting to this and i love everyones ideas since buying cookie cutters seems to be a hobby in itself! LOL

I started keeping a list of cutters too, as well as tips and americolor "colors" and no matter how updated i try to keep it, i end up with doubles or similar. Never a bad thing though, because the kiddos love to rush to "help" when I'm in the middle of an order. So I set them up with a lil patch of dough on another table and they get to make their own at the end of my batch (so they dont get included to mine).

PS...on the scalloped cutters, $15 is insane for a cutter no matter how beautiful...karenscookies.net ($2-$3?) sells them now and so does cheapcookiecutters.com ($5?) somewhere along the under $5 price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%