How Much Should I Charge

Decorating By bashini Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 10:06am by bashini

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 29

Hi my freinds, just now I got an enquiry about the blue cake that I have attatched . She wants 100-110 servings Vanilla cake. But I have few questions,

1 - What are the sizes of these cakes?

2 - How much should I charge ( in pounds 'cause I live in UK )

3 - what do you call this particular blue colour and how can I make it?

4 - How can I do the scroll work on the blue cake in gold, which I haven't done before

Please help! This is my first enquiry for a wedding cake.

Thanks in advance.
LL

28 replies
bashini Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 29

Anyone Please!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 29

I'm no expert but I'll offer what I can. I'm not sure what the sizes in the picture are but 14, 12, 10 and 8 would give you 116 according to http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules/Forums/files/cake_serving_guide_219.pdf and i use party size servings.

i think you could use a shade of aqua http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=535&SubCatId=1053&productId=618237 for the color. It looks like maybe it's sprayed with a silver luster spray too though.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the gold piping though. i know you can pipe and then color over it with luster dust and a paint brush, but i'm not so sure. Maybe someone else can help more.

bashini Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 29

Thank you so much for the information. It really helps. Will I be able put the scroll imprint first on the cake and then pipe over it? I'm not so sure I can do free handed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 29

Oh my, a 14, 12, 10, 8 (each size 4" tall) will serve 172 icon_sad.gif A 12, 10, 8, 6 would serve 120. In my opinion it will not look good - very tall and skinnyicon_sad.gif

Offer choices to the bride. 3 tiers (14, 12, 8icon_wink.gif OR 12, 10, 8, 6; OR ??
Let them decide if they want lots of extra cake or should uyou use a dummy tier, or make it smaller.

Sorry I can't help w/pricing. The color is going to be something you are going to have to play with. Ask the bride for a sample - a piece of ribbon, a paint chip or napkin so you can match that.

Making the scroll work in gold is going to take a **very** steady hand to paint it w/gold highlighter dust mixed w/alcohol (Vodka etc) and a very small brush.

bashini Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 29

Yeah, I was thinking asking her about doing three tiers too. Thanks for your help kakeladi.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 29

I am sorry but I think the cake in the picture looks like 12, 10, 8, 6. There isn't 4" spaces on each tier. I like the look. I think that is what you could do. IMO.

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 29

Thanks Shelly for the help. She might agree for a 3 tier cake. Lets see how it goes.

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 29

I agree, the cake is a 12", 10", 8", 6". I do them all of the time!

I enlarged the photo and the gold is not piping, it is gold dragee. The piping is all in blue.

As for the pearl shimmer, I would use a dusting powder, or I love the pearl spray by PME.

Make sue you post your photo when you are finished!

Good Luck!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 29

OK, maybe I can help you as I did a large tiered scroll work cake (pink, in my photos). Firstly, tell your bride that her cake will not look exactly like that cake - it's a dummy and has very square corners, the actual cake will be more softly contoured. I would colour my fondant with turquoise colouring to get that colour, and then dust the whole cake with sparkle/lustre dust. for 100 servings, I would do a 6,8,10 & 12in giving 112 servings if they use the top tier. For the scroll work, colour royal icing with gold colouring, pipe and allow to dry and then paint over it with gold lustre dust mixed with vodka/gin. As for the price, well it would depend on what the cakes were (sponge, fruit etc), but I would charge in the region of £400 - those peacock feathers will be pretty pricey! Hope that helps!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 29

I agree.. it looks like a 6-8-10-12 which is 110-115 servings in my book.. I am doing a cake with these exact sizes fo similar serving needs. Remember that caterers are going to cut wedding servings no matter what you bake.. so your party sizes are goig to result in a ton of extra cake and more important.. you would be losing out on a LOT of potential income.

Does the bride want gold piping? if she does it's easy to paint the piping with gold dust diluted in vodka. But the PP is right.. the gold you see on the cake is dragees and not piping. icon_smile.gif Good luck with the cake!

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 29

Ummm.. not for nothing, but crisp corners are easily achieved in BC. The cake isn't necessarily a dummy cake (unless you know the details of the cake of course icon_smile.gif ). I can get the razor sharp corners like that with buttercream.. more than that actually since the corners look slightly rounded to me.

Not to sound like I am full of myself of course because I am SO far from that it's silly.. but it is possible to get nice crisp corners on a real cake..

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 29

Oh thank you all for the cake sizes. So one thing sorted.

bonjovibabe, turqoise is similar to teal isn't it?

yes jkalman, she wants the piping gold.

Thanks again all of you!

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 29

jkalman, I'm going to do it with fondant, because I'm not very good with BC. I need more practice with it.

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 29

Use royal icing then for the scrolls.. it takes to being painted well. icon_smile.gif I would use teal and maybe add a little bit of a sky blue to it. You have time to experiment with the color. icon_smile.gif Make sure to post a picture when you are done!! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 29

I agree with everyone the sizes are 12, 10, 8, 6. A lot of my cakes use this sizes. If you were doing the cake in buttercream I would tell you, you could do the piping in piping gel with luster dust in gold in it.
Since is fondant, you can do it in RI and then paint it with gold luster dust thinned with vodka.. Actually that cake is all painted in luster dust. You cand see the variations in the color..like my grapes cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1160460

Hope this helped.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 29

It sure looks like a 6, 8, 10 12 to me, too. I think the proportions look fine.

I would also propsose those 4 tier sizes for 110-115 servings. If you can get it, try to find the Americolor gel in teal. To me it also looks like it is dusted or sprayed with pearl dust.

I would also, as a pp suggested, pipe in royal icing and then carefullypaint with gold dust mixed with vodka or another quick drying alcohol. You could imprint the scrolls first on the fondant and then pipe over them with the royal.

It is such a pretty cake, that's actually one of my favorite colors!

Good luck with it and please post a photo when you're done.

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 29

Oh you guys rock. I can't thank you enough for the help. I will definetely post a picture.

Love you all!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Ummm.. not for nothing, but crisp corners are easily achieved in BC. The cake isn't necessarily a dummy cake (unless you know the details of the cake of course icon_smile.gif ). I can get the razor sharp corners like that with buttercream.. more than that actually since the corners look slightly rounded to me.

Not to sound like I am full of myself of course because I am SO far from that it's silly.. but it is possible to get nice crisp corners on a real cake..

Oh I'm sure you are very able (as are many others!), to do just that thumbs_up.gif , but I noted that the OP is in the UK and decorating a wedding cake with buttercream there is virtually unheard of. It's nearly all fondant and, increasingly less these days, royal icing and marzipan icon_smile.gif . In fact, prior to finding this site, if someone had asked me to decorate a cake (any cake), with buttercream, I'd have thought they were very strange indeed icon_lol.gif .

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 29

Cool to hear the differences "across the pond"!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Using marzipan to me would be so hard!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

That's why I love CC!!! We can all learn and share with each other!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif THANK YOU thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:53pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Oh I'm sure you are very able (as are many others!), to do just that thumbs_up.gif , but I noted that the OP is in the UK and decorating a wedding cake with buttercream there is virtually unheard of. It's nearly all fondant and, increasingly less these days, royal icing and marzipan icon_smile.gif . In fact, prior to finding this site, if someone had asked me to decorate a cake (any cake), with buttercream, I'd have thought they were very strange indeed icon_lol.gif .

This is so true Bonjavi...In the Uk the way the do the cakes and their finishes are completely different. Almost everything is covered in marzipan an fondant. Thats what I like from the US..we use all the options and posibilitties.. And yes the amount of people that know how to do a great buttercream here in CC is amazing.!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:39pm
post #22 of 29

Yeah you are right Edna. But we use marzipan only for fruit cakes. And then cover it with fondant. I was a big fan of Butter Cream. But I couldn't get the finish that lots of you guys get with the BC. So I'm hoping to buy Sugarshaks dvd soon.

One other I wanted to ask is that whether you guys charge extra to deliver and to set it up at the venue?

tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:45pm
post #23 of 29

Oh... I like her DVD.. dont do exactly like her but she does a great work in this DVD(i have it).. I think is a great tool for anybody who is learning!..

Now always wondered? Why yo use marzipan on fruitcakes and then cover them in fondant?..I seen that in some books
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:00pm
post #24 of 29

From what I learnt is that we use marzipan on cakes is to give it a smoother surface to the cake before puting the fondant or RI.

Hope that make sence.

tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 29

oh.. i was wondering if it was mre for the flavor!Edna icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #26 of 29

Yeah.. I didn't even think about the whole in the UK factor. icon_redface.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:24pm
post #27 of 29

Actually, marzipan is put on fruit cakes to stop the dark juices of the fruit cake bleeding through the fondant or royal icing. It does also give a much nicer surface to put fondant on to, and I never have trouble with bubbles appearing under the fondant with marzipan, but I get it quite a bit when I use buttercream as a base for fondant!

bashini Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:29am
post #28 of 29

yeah bonjovibabe, its another reason too. I never have trouble with bubbles even if I use buttercream under fondant.

bashini Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:06am
post #29 of 29

I've got one more question about this cake. It came to my mind when I was reading another thread. Should I make two layers of each or one layer and then torted.

Thanks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%