Chocolate Marshmallows

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 6:59pm by Tootall

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 15

I just saw in the store today that Kraft now has chocolate marshmallows. I need to make some black MMF in a couple weeks and was just thinking to myself this morning, I wonder if I can add cocoa to help me get closer to a black color, when VOILA! there they were in the store. I bought a bag and hope to give it a try this week. Has anyone else tried this? I'm wondering how the flavor is. (I'll bet they make a nice shortcut to s'mores.)

If that doesn't work, any other tips on getting black MMF? I know there used to be a thread, but it may have been lost. Thanks!

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:10am
post #2 of 15

The marshmallows have a light cocoa flavor. For black fondant, you need a LOT of color (Americolor is best). It helps to start coloring in the wet part, before you add the powdered sugar.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:33am
post #3 of 15

I havent tried making any out of the choc marshmallows but i did make some out of the strawberry ones they had during Valentines Day. It was soooo YUMMY!!!

I agree with Joann about adding the color to the wet part then more after if needed

Hawkette Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 15

Good to know. Thanks!

Karenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenl Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:30am
post #5 of 15

strawberry which were wonderful. But the chocolate...hmmmmmmm was following the recipe from on here for regular MMF...same amount of Powd. sugar...and it go dry really quick. I guess the chocolate coating on the Marshmallows just really sucks up that extra water. They aren't chocolate thru and thru just dusted on the outside. My batch was extremely dry so I tossed it and painted my white MMF black.

They would be good for s'mores though

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:04am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the tip about them not being chocolate throughout. I was drooling over these in the store the other day but didn't pick them up. Now I probably won't because I can just make my own marshmallows and roll them in cocoa. Plus they'll taste a lot better!

When you go to tint in black the only thing I can tell you from experience is that if you think you have enough black dye, you probably don't. Make sure you have extra on hand before you start.

Hawkette Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 15

They aren't chocolate all the way through?!!! How disappointing. icon_sad.gif Thanks for the tip.

Karenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenl Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 15

was talking with a GF about these things and she said her's are choco throughout....well I marched right to the kitchen and cut up a couple of mine...and they were not....but then I kept cutting and I had some that were thru out chocolate. icon_surprised.gif

I'm sorry about the misleading information, I have a defective bag I guess. icon_redface.gif Will be contacting the Jet Puff folks for a replacement bag, obviously mine didn't make it to Quality Control. thumbsdown.gif

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 15

I made mmf with the choc marshmallows. I always add a little bit of shortening, and it turned out beautiful. The color was even and it tasted really yummy! I can't find them in the stores now, I only found them at Target during halloween. I will have to keep my eye out for them. I love the way it turned out!

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 15

i made some fondant with them before. the regular way. turned out just fine and tasted pretty good. i would think it would be fine to use as a base for black. i'd give it a try

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 15

Just last week I was telling my gf that I didn't see why you couldn't use the chocolate marshies for the base of CMMF! I'm so glad to know some of you have already tried it! I, too, put the Crisco in with the melting process so I am assuming that helps with the pliability if they seem to be drier.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 15

And, oh, try looking for them in Walmart... I see them there all the time.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 15

I make black MMF all the time, just use the Americolor Super Black and add the coloring before the PS, works just fine!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

I LOVE the chocolate and strawberry marshmallows, they taste so good for MMF. I think the chocolate taste's wonderful, like a tootsie roll. Here is one I did with the chocolate marshmallows, and colored it black before the ps:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1135173

I dyed some of it black from a brown batch last night, had no trouble with it at all, it only took one good kneading process. I did notice that this particular batch got very crumbly, had to nuke it a bit to make it work, but it still turned out ok.

The strawberry works so well to make red fondant as well, hardly any red is needed as compared to going from white.

I too had a bit of trouble finding the chocolate and the strawberry ones for a while..but they are starting to show up again.

I wonder what color you would get if mixed all the colored/fruity flavors together?

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 15

I was wondering if those would work for MMF, too. I can't find anything buy mini chocolate marshmallows any more (in the kid snack packs) but I've had several bags of those puppies when I could find them and mine were chocolate all the way through. I LOVE those things!!! (The coconut are also good! *drool*) None of mine were white in the middle. icon_confused.gif That's weird! Even myb hubby likes the choco ones (He's not a marshmallow fan). I did notice the choco MM were a little drier than the whites. Must be the cocoa powder. icon_smile.gif Yummy! I'm going to have to have my Maryland friend ship me some more! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%