How Do You Make Catfish Cake?

Decorating By tonyascakes07 Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm by nesweetcake

tonyascakes07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyascakes07 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone give me instructions on making a catfish cake from cake to decorating it... I would appreciate your help...

3 replies
daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 4

Welcome to CC, hope you enjoy this site icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I usually start with a picture of what I want.I decide the dimensions then bake the cake needed. I find it easier to use a recipe like choc., yellow, or white. They seem to have the texture I need for carving. After the cake has cooled I usually refrigerate it in an airtight container to make it easier to carve and cut down on the crumbs. After I carve it I put on a crumb coat of buttercream. A crumb coat is a very light coat of icing to seal in the crumbs. Being a catfish, I would color fondant and cover it with that, just to get the very smooth "skin". After that I would pipe the eyes in two steps, the white first then a black dot for the center. I would make the fins also out of the fondant. As a las detail I woulg get some very fine floral wire and color it black for the "whiskers". It would also give a nice touch to dust it with one of the sparkle dusts to give it a kind of wet look. If you need more help or I missed something, let me know!!!

Hope this helps. And again, WELCOME TO CC!!!!!!!!!!

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 4

check out my fish cake in my pics... i suck at posting pics. icon_sad.gif But just carve the cake out - cover it in fondant and quickly use something sharp to press up the scales. I made the fins seperatly and just stuck them on and painted him. Let me know if you have any other questions.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 4

Same as they said, but I use a piping tip to imprint the scale design into the fondant. Use the end you would screw onto the coupler. It makes the
same size (press only to get half of the circle) and is really quick. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%