I've Got Possible Funding But I Need Your Help Please!!!

Business By chrissysconfections Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 6:16pm by Arriva

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so I was approached for funding to finally get my business up and running in my unfinished basement. The deal is that if I can get a list of all the things I need together, from the large things like appliances and counters etc down to the little things like pans and spatulas then this person is willing to not only fund it but have HIS contractors do all the work.
My problem......I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO GET!!
I know what I need supply wise as far as pans, utensils, edible printer etc but I don't know what kind of appliances I need. I don't necessarily have to have top of the line appliances but I do want good, durable things in the proper sizes. NOT what I'm dealing with now. Walmart mixers and a 20 yr old electric oven aren't "durable" when it comes to more then one cake at a time or MMF!!
This person is able to get a lot of things wholesale or less so I know I can go a little extravagant but not outrageous. I don't want to give him a list with pricing that will send him running. I know some things I would be willing to get used like a commerical frige but I don't want to compromise on a mixer or stove. I know KA's are the best mixer but what size? I have a 5qt KA rip off that isn't any where near big enough for the cakes I do now. I can only get two cake mixes in it before it overflows as it is.
Also what about an oven/stove? Gas? Electric? I cook with an electric stove now but I must admit I liked my old gas stove (yrs ago) better but I haven't cooked with one in so long. I have propane already coming into the house so it wouldn't be to big a deal but again, what size, type make etc.
Any help you can give me would be great or anything you think I may be leaving out please feel free to add.
I'm a mix of excited and nervous all at once and I know I'm missing important things!!
Thanks
Chrissy thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 16

I have a deluxe oven that I love! That was my only big purchase when I put in my new kitchen, but I plan on up grading to a hobart 10-20 quart mixer in the future. Hope this helps a little.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 16

I've actually seen some really nice hobart mixers at a used restaurant supply warehouse. Everytime I see one I get weak in the knees. You should check in your area to see if you have one. Electric ovens bake more evenly. You may need to get stainless steel counters, which you can get at a used restaurant supply as well. What about a 4 compartment sink. I would check with your local health dept and see exactly what they require for you to have. What about a sheeter for fondant work. NOW I'M JUST THINKING ABOUT ALL THE THING I WANT....LOL... A couple bakers cooling racks. One of which you could use to put any figures/bows/fondant pieces on to dry. HMMM...what else...Dishwasher? If I think of more I'll let you know.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 16

Try Craigslist, I've seen a ton of bakery equipment for sale on there, maybe you can get a good deal!

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 16

I am so happy for you.
Equipment list:
A sink for hand washing-soap dispener and a paper towel holder.
3 bay sink with drain boards on each side-wash, rinse and sanitize
A work table with a bottom shelf
I like the deluxe ovens (GAS) because they are seriously cake friendly.
Refrigerator and a freezer( PLEASE DO NOT GET A SIDE BY SIDE)-These need to be able to accomadate a wedding cake.
2-3 Full size sheet pan rack( bakery rack) Full sheet pans 10-12 of them.
Plenty of shelving-simply put everything in alphabetical order so you can keep track of what you have.
If you have any questions let me know.
Get two 6 quart KA and two extra bowls.
Look at this site www.equippers.com
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 16

I did know the Deluxe ovens were available in gas. I thought they were electric only. If you get a gas oven then you maybe required to purchase a ventilation hood and ansil system which is expensive.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 16

I would definitely go with a 20 qt mixer. ANyting bigger is too big to handle (the bowls are heavy by themselves, let alone full of batter). I thought a 20 qt would be too big to mix up just a small batch of icing or something, but it's working out great.

To be able to put 7 or 8 cake mixes in the bowl and mix it up all at once is awesome!! To be able to make batches of icing by throwing 14 lbs of powdered sugar in one bowl is double awesome! To be able to make batches of cookie dough in one bowl that yields over 200 cookie dough balls .all at once ... PRICELESS!!!

If you go smaller, I wouldn't go smaller than a 10-qt.

Baker's racks ... DEFINITELY!!

18x26 baking sheets .... at least a dozen, but I'd suggest 2 dz.

If you plan on big volume, get the big bins that hold about 200 lbs of sugar and flour. I dont' know what I'd do without mine. They fit right under my work counter ... very convenient.

I have a stainless steel work table with a shelf and I have one without a shelf. The one w/o a shelf is where I store the flour/sugar bins and those drawers-on-wheels that hold utensils and small tools. (Easy to sweep & mop under, too!)

Get more metal shelving than you think you'll need ... you'll need it.

Are you going after a commercial frig/freezer or just a regular one? I have a 2-door comm'l freezer and I wish I had a 3-door. I have a walk-in 'frig, but if you're not going that route, go for the 3-door. The racks can be removed if you need height for a stacked cake.

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks that's a great start.....I was thinking stainless steel too because he mentioned knowing someone in the resturant supply business...this guy goes into failed resturants and rips everything out. I think I may stick with the electric stove/oven too because that's what I've gotten used to.
Not to sound stupid but what's a "sheeter for fondant"?
I never thought though of my fondant working tools though...thanks for that!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 16

before you go nuts buying up a bunch of stuff...call the health dept to do a walk thru of where you are planning to build....they will help you with the layout....different things have to be spaced a certain distance apart....this may effect the sizes you can buy.

also on bigger electric appliances...there are different "phases"....if i remember right the phase 3 cannot be used just anywhere....there may not be enough voltage in a regular neighborhood....make sure and ask the salesman....cause they don't care what they sell you.

if you get a gas oven it will need to be vented....that costs a few grand at least.

this is what i got....

electric convection oven...it holds 5 full sheets...

3 compartment sink
grease trap
hand sink
bakers racks

double door freezer
30 quart mixer
a few stainless steel worktables
a 6 quart lil kitchenaid for small stuff

and all the pans and other do dads...this set up works pretty well for me

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 16

I volunteer at a well-known bakery in my area. One thing I think you just can't live without is the fondant sheeter. Believe me, it makes doing large cakes a real pleasure. They also have several Hobart mixers, 2 large and one smaller (20 quart I believe). Maybe get a medium sized to handle all of your baking. Oh, and one really great investment would be a temp. controlled frig. They put their fondant cakes in one and never have to worry about condensation on their cakes.

They also have two large marble toped tables that they use for decorating their cakes. The have the sheeter sitting on top of one and they still have plenty of space to decorate their cakes.

I know it sounds overwhelming, but these are just some ideas for you to ponder over. The sheeter, though I don't think you could make a better investment. Believe me, when I get a little extra cash, I'm getting one for my house and I really have no place to put it. Oh well, who needs to eat at the kitchen table; those portable trays will have to do.

C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 16

The sheeter is like a large pasta machine. It's great! It has a thickness control dial that goes from 1 - 15 so you don't have to worry about getting uneven thickness of fondant. It's great. They have two sized, a smaller one and a large one. The bakery I'm at has two large ones (they do a large volume of cakes). Here's a link for the sheeters,

http://www.smrset.com/products.asp?prod=8&cat=3&hierarchy=0,
http://www.smrset.com/products.asp?prod=9&cat=3&hierarchy=0

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

also on bigger electric appliances...there are different "phases"....if i remember right the phase 3 cannot be used just anywhere....there may not be enough voltage in a regular neighborhood....make sure and ask the salesman....cause they don't care what they sell you.

Excellent point! I'm in a space in a small strip mall and my kitchen designer spec'd in a 3-phrase comm'l dishwasher. We found out there isn't any 3-phase wiring in this entire building, so she had to swap out the dishwasher.

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 16

Little things ... all containers must be NSF approved containers (so throw out those big red coffee cans you've been storing your chocolate chips in!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Get quite a few different sizes. I mostly use the 4 qt and the 2qt sizes.

And a label maker. When you put your baking soda in a NSF approved container, you have to label the container. (At least my HD rules state that all containers must be labeled.)

A pegboard on the wall is a great place to put hooks and store sets of measuring spoons, meas. cups, your high density roller, aprons, sifter ... anything with a handle that can be hung up for easy access. I spaced two hooks apart and hang my rolling pin up!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 16

Oh wow c-lady...I WANT THAT SHEETER

C-Lady Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 16

That sheeter is the BOMB! I've only been doing this for a few months. The only time I ever dealt with with fondant was in the one week cake decorating portion of my program. Of course we rolled the fondant out by hand. How else would you do it? But man, when I got to the bakery and I started using that sheeter, buy-buy rolling pin. Untill I had to do it at home. Oy boy, what a difference. No worrying about the fondant drying out trying to roll out a 20, 30 in for that matter piece of fondant. I'm telling you, I'm getting one of those if it's the last think I do.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:16pm
post #16 of 16

I was glad to see the posts regarding three phase power. I would venture to say that most homes to do have three phase service. If you need three phase and your home does not currently have it, you will need to meet with someone from your electric service provider and see if three phase is even available/feasible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%