Airbrush Effect Without Airbrush Machine?

Decorating By hlaw97 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 4:07am by angienajjar

hlaw97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hlaw97 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 12

I want to have an airbrush effect on a cake im doing this week. But i dont have an airbrush machine nor can I afford one.

i have a TON of icing to color hot pink and instead of coloring it that color i was going to see if there was a way to ice the cake white and do an airbrush effect or "paint" it pink!

11 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 12

I have never used the color mist stuff you can get at craft stores but that is the only thing I can think of, sorry but also not sure what colors are availabe, here it's not to many!

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 12

The colormist stuff doesn't work as good as it claims to work. It is a water base color and the times I have used it it has been runny and shown weird drip marks. Although I have only tried it on fondant. You may have better luck on buttercream. I would do a test run first though.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 12

I have heard of people using the pump up sprayers (the ones you would normally put oil in for cooking and pump up to pressurize). I have also heard of a sprayer people have bought from home depot (preval is the name I think.) These would be okay for covering a cake in color but I don't know how good they will be for fine detail.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry, I have never found anything that does the job af an airbrush with an airbrush-they are cheap at craft stores, I have heard. I would save up for one if I were you KOPYKAKE sells an Airmaster that makes life peachy, BUT I hope someone else has a tip for you! GOOD LUCK!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 12

I absolutely LOVE the color mist stuff!!! Granted, this won't help you for your cake this WEEK, but you can order colormist on ebay for about what it costs in the store... And if you live in a small town like me, you can only get, say, ORANGE or something like that. There's another brand of spray color I've gotten (Duncan Hines? Betty Crocker?), but it had VEGETABLE OIL listed as one of the ingredients. Needless to say, it NEVER dried. So check ingredients. I've had GREAT luck with the spray colors from Wilton, though...

This cake is one I sprayed with orange and red to get the bright color. MUCH easier than coloring ALL the fondant! I use spray color/mixed paints almost exclusively for dark colors...
LL

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

I have heard of people using the pump up sprayers (the ones you would normally put oil in for cooking and pump up to pressurize). I have also heard of a sprayer people have bought from home depot (preval is the name I think.) These would be okay for covering a cake in color but I don't know how good they will be for fine detail.

I used a pump up sprayer once, but it seemed to spray too MUCH for me... I couldn't control it as well as the color mist stuff either, so it ran. You have to use a light touch with the Wilton stuff, but I found it pretty easy if you go in short bursts.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 12

I forgot about this, but Duff uses the Preval Sprayer and I saw it in a post a while back that quite a few people here have used it. You can get it at Home depot int he paint department or online. I have not personally used it, but have checked it out at Home Depot...it comes with a glass container that you can put your own color in ...trouble is you will have to wash it out for each color or buy more than one container for it. Next time I need a color that is hard to color buttercream I am going to try it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:48am
post #9 of 12

Using the colormists can be done take a look at AmysCakes.... here is one of her cakes .... I think the trick is to use even pressure on it...especially for the hot colors...I don't think the red is a true red but you can get hot pinks, blues, greens, yellows etc.

Here is a example of one of her cakes done with the colormists

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1170056.html

HTH's

Christi

dixie_beloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixie_beloved Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:44am
post #10 of 12

I have used the Color Mists. I love them. I have never tried it on fondant. I tend to do everything in buttercream. You can get the color mist at stores like Hobby Lobby or maybe even Michael's. Hobby Lobby has several colors. I know the one here in my town has black, pink, blue, green and purple. Maybe even some more colors. Im not sure. Hope that helps.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:03am
post #11 of 12

I don't know if it is just me, but I think the COLORMIST pink looks GREAT on cupcakes! It really pops!

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:07am
post #12 of 12

If you allow the fondant to dry to the touch, then you can use a paintbrush or new kitchen sponge to 'paint' the cake. I mix the gelpaste colours with a little alcohol, and voila!!! Great on intense colours, such as black or red. Paint directly onto the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%