Prevent Streaking In Colored Fondant

Decorating By meganole25 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 9:12pm by sugarshack

meganole25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganole25 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 4

I just made my first fondant cake (see link) and had a very hard time getting the color seamless.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199362

My green looks like a tie-dyed mess. Any tricks of the trade to prevent this from happening?

3 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 4

I use Nic Lodge's suggestion. Depends on how much fondant you want to color, but let's say for 1 lb. Pinch of a piece of white fondant about the size of a ping pong ball, color it with gel, paste or liquid color a shade or two darker than what you want for the final color. Knead the color well into the ball, then knead the ball into the white fondant until well combined.

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

I make my own MMF and if I'm making a large amount of the same color I add the coloring before adding the powdered sugar and that way it's really easy to mix in. Otherwise doing it when the fondant is ready made it's just a case of kneading and kneading until the color is even. I just looked at your cake and I actually like the swirly effect of the green even if it wasn't exactly what you'd hoped for!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 4

i think you just needed to knead it more. knead knead knead till it all blends in.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%