Opinions Desired On This Cake.

Decorating By tobycat Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm by bwonderful

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 28

Hey everyone,

I'm really looking for some contructive comments on this cake. It was really well-received, and I'm really proud of it overall. I'm just at that stage where I'm really wanting some "other decorator's eyes" to look it over and give me some feedback -- positive always enjoyed, but constructive also really appreciated! (Any aspect please -- design, execution of techniques, etc.)

Anyway thanks for looking and commenting. icon_smile.gif
LL

27 replies
suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 28

All I can say is "WOW!" That is one awesome cake! It looks very clean and not too "overdone." Great job!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 28

I'm willing to give constructive criticism, but I can't find anything that could be improved on this cake! It's really wonderful.

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 28

i'm with you. while its great to hear nothing but positive thoughts its nice to know what others think would have improved the cake. i've looked really hard and....well......ummm.......i would have........who am i kidding its gorgeous. very well done!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 28

I think it is lovely just as it is. Sometimes I think people overdo this style cake with mounds of flowers when the less is more rule really applies.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 28

Looks great to me! You did an excellent job!

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 28

Hmmm, looked really hard, all I can say is "You did a great job!!" thumbs_up.gif Yep, looked again just to make sure, I LOVE IT! icon_biggrin.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 28

The ONLY thing I can see (and it could be the angle of the picture) is that the scroll work seems different on the bottom left corner of the picture. It dips down more. Does it also do that on the top right corner and I can't see it? Other then that the cake is just beautiful and perfectly executed. Every detail is very well done. Great job.

dixon920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixon920 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 28

That cake is georgous. Very well done. All I can say is AWESOME thumbs_up.gif

Fahina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahina Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 28

I stand with everyone else...this is very well executed. Gorgeous job and I would be very pleased too with this as a bride!!!!!

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 28

I think the cake looks WONDEFUL! The only thing I might suggest (and I am not even sure it would make a difference) would be to use a darker colored cake board so that the cake pops a little better. For me, I kind of lost your beautiful cake into the cake board. Does that make sense? ....Super job overall!!

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 28

Amazing cake - I absolutely love it. The only thing I may have done differently is to use a fancy font for the writing and maybe make that a bit bigger.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 28

I agree with the person who said she would have used a darker color cake board, but the cake is GORGEOUS!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 28

I know I'm too new to give an opinion here but I'm going to anyway. The cake is lovely and it's just a matter of subjective taste on the tweaking.

The person that suggested the lettering and larger, I think that would be very nice looking. Everything else is pretty much on the money.

Personally, I don't care for the little circles you have around the cake, but that is my own opinion. They really serve no function, don't enhance the cake and don't pull the them together for me.

But that is just a minor thing.

Your book looks awesome, I love how you did the page effect on the sides of the cake and now that I see how you made your page marker I can kick myself.

Just having done a book cake, my cake was missing something and I had wanted to do a page marker, but I didn't want to do a ribbon as it was going to be too distracting ( read, too big. lol) but what you did would've been perfect.

Thank you for sharing your photo.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 28

It really is a great cake! I can see why it was so well received! My only suggestion is regarding the circles around the bottom too. (I think they look fine, BTW) but I recently did my first book cake. I used the sugarcraft gun and the square disk to make a square rope. i put it all the way around the bottom of the cake and I was surprised just how much it made it look like a real book!

tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

It really is a great cake! I can see why it was so well received! My only suggestion is regarding the circles around the bottom too. (I think they look fine, BTW) but I recently did my first book cake. I used the gun and the square disk to make a square rope. i put it all the way around the bottom of the cake and I was surprised just how much it made it look like a real book!

Thank you so much for the nice words and the idea. It sounds really neat, but I'm not sure what the "gun and square disk" are --- oh, is it the rope making gun? What does the "square disk" do? Where can I find one? The circles were supposed to be like a fabric covered scrapbook, (saw one here on cc) and I was stumped, so I use that idea. But, yours sounds wonderfully neat. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 28

Thank you so much everyone for the very kind words and the opinions. I've gotten some good ideas for different borders -- which I think is always a good thing to have in the "bag of tricks and ideas"! I really appreciate everyone's insights and that "decorator's eye view."

icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by uschi1

Amazing cake - I absolutely love it. The only thing I may have done differently is to use a fancy font for the writing and maybe make that a bit bigger.

You made me smile when I read this because I think you're right, but I don't do hand painted words often, and I'm not very confident with a paint brush. I keep thinking that the brush is going to "slip" from under itself and splotch things up, so I used a really small brush. It's a confidence thing, but I know what you mean. Maybe this is what I need to just go for it next time! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the idea. icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimerbaker

I think the cake looks WONDEFUL! The only thing I might suggest (and I am not even sure it would make a difference) would be to use a darker colored cake board so that the cake pops a little better. For me, I kind of lost your beautiful cake into the cake board. Does that make sense? ....Super job overall!!

Thank you for this idea! I can see what you mean, and I can see how that would have made a difference. Something to definitely do for next time! icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadak

The ONLY thing I can see (and it could be the angle of the picture) is that the scroll work seems different on the bottom left corner of the picture. It dips down more. Does it also do that on the top right corner and I can't see it? Other then that the cake is just beautiful and perfectly executed. Every detail is very well done. Great job.

Thank you for your comments. You're right, the scrollwork is slightly uneven on the bottom corner -- it's also uneven around the wording (bad angle when holding the bag on my part), but the other part was just because I did it freehand and I just popped out an extra little "tail" there and didn't see it. Looking at the cake straight on it wasn't as noticeable, but it was there, and it's actually nice to know that I'm not the only one who thought as you did about it! icon_smile.gif I keep promising myself that one of these days, I will do that perfect scrollwork! I hope that's in THIS lifetime. lol.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:17am
post #21 of 28
Quote:

It really is a great cake! I can see why it was so well received! My only suggestion is regarding the circles around the bottom too. (I think they look fine, BTW) but I recently did my first book cake. I used the gun and the square disk to make a square rope. i put it all the way around the bottom of the cake and I was surprised just how much it made it look like a real book!

I did this also!! and yes, it made it look like the book cover! thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:50am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Quote:

Thank you so much for the nice words and the idea. It sounds really neat, but I'm not sure what the "gun and square disk" are --- oh, is it the rope making gun? What does the "square disk" do? Where can I find one? The circles were supposed to be like a fabric covered scrapbook, (saw one here on cc) and I was stumped, so I use that idea. But, yours sounds wonderfully neat. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

I understand what you were going for. It does look like a fabric covered scrapbook. Maybe even if you used the square rope in ADDITION to the circles, it would really make it look real!

Yes, you use the Sugarcraft gun or a clay extruder to make the ropes. It comes with many different disks you can use.

springlakecake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:54am
post #23 of 28

ha ha! the name of the gun was blocked because it is the same as that "website" that we arent allowed to talk about. You dont have to get the gun from there, you can get it other places, just happens to be the same name.

anyway here is a pic of my book cake with the square edge. I thought it looked pretty good.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1185540

tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:

ha ha! the name of the gun was blocked because it is the same as that "website" that we arent allowed to talk about. You dont have to get the gun from there, you can get it other places, just happens to be the same name.

anyway here is a pic of my book cake with the square edge. I thought it looked pretty good.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1185540

lol -- thanks!

I peeked at your book earlier, and it's wonderful! I really want to get one of those guns now! That book you did is so cute, and you're absolutely right about that border. Thanks for the info.

icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:05pm
post #25 of 28

All I can say is stunning. Love it.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:35pm
post #26 of 28

Great looking cake. The only thing I would suggest is a more color. Maybe make the bookmark multi colored (interwoven strands of blue, brown and green) rather than white. There is also a lot of blank space on the page with the writing. Make the text larger and use up the whole canvas.

But really, it is a very cool cake. Iâm going to have to buy that pan.

mema_sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mema_sue Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #27 of 28

You did an excellent job and should be proud of your accomplishment.
Your cake is lovely.

I sketch out what I want to do and make several revisions until I really like the full effect. I take pictures with my digital camera and that is where I can clearly see things that can be changed for the better.

This cake is elegant. icon_biggrin.gif

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #28 of 28

I think it's beautiful but I agree with others about the circles on the bottom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%