Hot Sugar Tech.

Sugar Work By RisqueBusiness Updated 7 Jan 2007 , 7:19pm by RisqueBusiness

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 1:37am
post #1 of 16

Sorry that the thread got locked before I got involved.

Pulled/blown sugar techniques and sugar showpieces are a tech one learns when one wants to make or is going to make spectacular Hotel showpieces and competition work or in places where they appreciate and PAY for the work.

It's also a very hard tech to do in a HIGH humidity environment, sugar absorbs water like a sponge!! lol

Before there was specialized sugar equipment a lot of the tools were adapted from hardware store, but you had to KNOW what you were doing so you knew what to buy!

Look at Moydear and her sugar bubbles made with a small balloon pump!

Pretty ribbons with multi colored stripes are also easy to do if you KNOW the technique.

With hot sugar and hot Isomal the trick of the tech is to have QUICK hands!! if you are slow, your sugar with cool and will not be pliable to work with!

I have some instructions that I can post, sorry that I cannot do a tutorial as I no longer have acess to the equipment and I'm not about to purchase any to get into this here in Florida. I have posted some of my sugar work, and as soon as the humidity hit it, my clear, glass looking sugar roses and apples got cloudy.

I will post my instructions here and each instruction will be under it's own subject.

I'm just sharing what I know, not interested in a debate about...if the technique is right or wrong or could be done better or I should be standing on my head and blow sugar out of my nether parts! icon_lol.gif

soo..my first offering to you guys..is..

POURED SUGAR ( you should cut down the recipes as these are volume recipes for industry )

I will post the following...

ROCK SUGAR
MAKING SPUN SUGAR
INSTRUCTIONS ON MAKING A SPUN SUGAR BALL
PULLED AND BLOWN SUGAR INSTRUCTIONS
(MAKING BLOWN SUGAR STRAWBERRIES AND PULLLED SUGAR BLOSSOM AND PULLED SUGAR LEAVES)
MAKING SUGAR STRAWS
PULLED SUGAR RIBBONS

This should keep even the most avid sugar enthusiast busy!! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:30am
post #2 of 16

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.

I'm going to try and follow you with this and add tips too...

starting with..
30% humidity or less and your sugar should stay clear forever.
40-50% and it will last maybe a week.
60% and you looking at a day or two
80% and it won't last a night.
Isomalt is different it won't lose it's sheen until 70% humidity and than it still lasts a week.

You can also buy a food lacquer and spray the pieces so no humidity touches it which is great if you want to keep big pieces that you can't get in a box. Of course wiping the dust off is a different matter.

www.kincaellan.com

RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincaellan

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.

I'm going to try and follow you with this and add tips too...

starting with..
30% humidity or less and your sugar should stay clear forever.
40-50% and it will last maybe a week.
60% and you looking at a day or two
80% and it won't last a night.
Isomalt is different it won't lose it's sheen until 70% humidity and than it still lasts a week.

You can also buy a food lacquer and spray the pieces so no humidity touches it which is great if you want to keep big pieces that you can't get in a box. Of course wiping the dust off is a different matter.

www.kincaellan.com

Kincaellan, you know that you're one of my heros! lol..

I still have my pieces...they lasted over a year, but they are VERY cloudy even though I've kept them indoors, I have them displayed in the shop as my clients are not really educated on this art, they just get very blown away by the fact they are sugar pieces! lol

kincaellan Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:20am
post #4 of 16

I have some that are 9 years old and look great, but our humidty here rarely goes above 30%. Othmar in Switzerland had some that were 12 years old.

I did a Yule log with blown sugar ornaments, nothing fancy, but the co worker who got it thought they were real and they took bets on it at the party until his nephew grabbed one and took a taste. Of course it was covered in lustre dust so it couldn't have been that good to lick...errrgh.

P.s. I can just imagine what you have blown out of sugar in your bakery cafe...heheheh and if you haven't I'm going to when I come visit one day.

www.kincaellan.com

RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 4:30am
post #5 of 16

Now, now...curb that imagination...lol..

AND yes! I've told you that you are more than welcomed!

as is anyone that wants to come and stress me out..with a visit! lol

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 6:53am
post #6 of 16

I can't wait for these tutorials... I was so amazed with the sugar bubbles that I've seen on here I went searching for a thermometer so that I could start playing around with this medium -- however, I'm not the brightest bunny in the meadow and didn't really know where to start -

icon_confused.gif . o O (hmm... have sugar.. .have thermometer.... now what!!??? icon_eek.gif ) hehehe

waiting with baited breath for the first tutorial!!

-- Fi

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks a ton for your help! I was dissapointed to see my other thread locked. I just wanted some help. icon_sad.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 16

I just wanted to end all the bickering that is started by the "misinformed"..lol

a lot of people ask for help and there are a LOT of ways to help people, as I state, sugar is a living, breathing art form...ever changing.

Sometimes we find new/easier/faster ways of doing things that work for us.

doesn't necessarily mean that the old ways are wrong or the new ways shouldn't be accepted!

The "tutorials" will be a "guide"...a place for someone that is keen on learning these techniques a spring board from which to start.

if you guys need further direction as to doing it from home with minimal equipment you can always PM ...

Moydear77

and you can have her explain how she started, she makes the sugar bubbles easy and made the technique her own.

hth

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 16

Looking forward to your tutorials RisqueBusiness
Thank you! icon_smile.gif

martinchiffersfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinchiffersfan Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feefs

I can't wait for these tutorials... I was so amazed with the sugar bubbles that I've seen on here I went searching for a thermometer so that I could start playing around with this medium -- however, I'm not the brightest bunny in the meadow and didn't really know where to start -

icon_confused.gif . o O (hmm... have sugar.. .have thermometer.... now what!!??? icon_eek.gif ) hehehe

waiting with baited breath for the first tutorial!!

-- Fi

Better get a pan your going to need it.

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 16

I"ve already started to post, and kincaellan who is an amazing Sugar Artists who is writing a book is also going to chime in for you guys..

check him out at...

www.kincaellan.com

martinchiffersfan Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 16

Sugar, thermometer and a pan well your almost there. I would consider purchasing some other things as well. Main thing is keep it simple. There is a website with all this stuff in it but memory escapes me as to where it was I will investigate further and return.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 16

I look forward to the tutorials, I'll stand on the outside and enjoy all the beautiful results. Our humidity has not been below 45%, ever. But, it sure doesn't stop me from admiring other people's artwork!

martinchiffersfan Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 16

Well I said I would return it took a while because for the life of me I could not remember the site but the web address is below.

http://www.freewebs.com/madsugarartists

kincaellan Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 16

It's an interesting site, SUGARCREATIONS from this board started it.

A gallery would be nice though of some of his / her work.

www.kincaellan.com

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincaellan

It's an interesting site, SUGARCREATIONS from this board started it.

A gallery would be nice though of some of his / her work.

www.kincaellan.com

Is that so? I cannot believe it..I was just there and it's so well written without any of the "flavor" that comes through when s/he posts here..

and all s/he ever posted was some here was some poured sugar flames, a chicken s/he made I think from an Ewald mold and a pulled sugar rose that s/he named a swamp flower because ..from what I saw..he used the "pulled" part as the OUTSIDE of the flower...he was trying to make a rose he pulled the sugar and made a rose petal with a long tail..!!

and I think s/he also made the swan following the instructions on the Pastrywiz.com site.

I don't know if the pictures are still up.

But I will give SUGARCREATIONS props for being one of the FIRST ones to bring PULLED sugar to the cc board..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%