Newbie Question About Cake Board

Decorating By Lora-Ann Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 3:05am by Lora-Ann

Lora-Ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lora-Ann Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. I am wondering about cake boards. I am new to this and am going to make a heart shaped stacked cake. Do I use a cake board cut to fit the heart shaped pan? Or do I just fit it onto a round or square cake board and use that?
Thanks a lot
Lora-Ann

9 replies
peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 10

Lora-Ann,
First, welcome to Cake Central!

Second, both board designs will look just fine. It depends upon how much work you want to put into it. You can even place the heart shaped board on top of a round board to add additional dimension to your cake.

Good luck and have fun!

peanut123 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 10

I also add that the photo gallery is a good resource for ideas. Here is link that will take you to heart cake photos:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=heart

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 10

When you say "stacked" cake, do you mean different sized tiers with boards and dowels separating? If so, then, yes, you'll want to cut the board(s) that go under the upper tiers into heart shapes. The base cake board can be any shape you want.

Lora-Ann Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 10

Yes by stacked I mean that I will be using dowel rods and that the heart cakes will be different sizes. 6,8 and 10.
I could not find any heart shaped cake boards at my local craft store but I just bought the 13x9 cake boards and will cut them a couple inches larger to fit. That will work okay don't you think?

Lora-Ann Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 10

thanks peanut! that link really helps a lot!
I appreciate it!

peanut123 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 10

Lora-Ann,
You may want to be careful using cardboard supported by dowels. It can be done, just make sure that the dowels do not push through the cardboard.

I am guessing that you are using Wilton heart shaped pans from the craft store that you mentioned.

Wilton also makes âseparator platesâ that go with their heart pans. These are very strong and basically, no-fail. The downside is that you may not like the look of the plastic with your design.

Here is a link, in case you are interested:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=heart+separator

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 10

I'm no fan of cardboard cake boards under dowels either. I like to cut boards out of 3/16" foamboard. You can wrap them or just cover the edge with white electrical tape.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 10

Card board can get soggy (if you don't mean cake boards)

Don't use regular cardboard

icon_smile.gif

Lora-Ann Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 3:05am
post #10 of 10

hmmmm.... I am thinking that my local craft store probably not have the separator plates that you gave me the link to. I have never done a cake like that before and didn't think about the dowels pushing through the boards.
I am not very experienced at all so I'm not sure what to do now!
eeks!
Thanks for the info though, I am glad you warned me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%