Help! Wet Cake...show Dropoff Today!

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 1:26pm by ruthberry

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

I stored my cake overnight in the fridge because we have ants with all the rain around here. I took it out this morning and finished decorating and now its soooo wet! The MMF covering the cake has beads of water all over it and my fondant decorations are all getting soft and bendy. My topper already broke and I replaced it with something smaller. What should I do? Help please!

5 replies
SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

do you by chance have a dehumidifier? That happens to me every summer in the south, my fondant and stuff will sweat due to humidity. I remember the rainy ant march from my days in San Diego.... I didn't have a dehumidfier until after we went through Hurricane katrina in NOLA and needed it to pull the moisture out of the walls... so most people probably don't have one... it does work wonders though. If not, trying dabbing it with a paper towel. Good luck I hope everything works out!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

OH no! icon_surprised.gif It sounds like you have been a victim of thawing/humidity sweating of the fondant! icon_lol.gif sorry to make lite...it sounded better in my head.

After fondant has been in the refrigerator you are going to get some condensation while in the normal temperature thawing out. This just takes a couple hours to go away. After a cake has been covered in fondant you can put it in a box or container and you don't have to refrigerate it. So sorry this is happening to you!
((((( HUG )))) Just let the cake sit out and eventually it will loose the condensation. I said rain also because fondant doesn't do well in humidity.
Hope your cake comes together! icon_smile.gif

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 6

Nope, no dehumidifier. I guess I'll take step0nmi's advice and just wait and see if it goes away. The rain and 4:00 dropoff time sure aren't helping! Definitely not a way to go into my first show...

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 6

I would dab it a little bit with a paper towel then...sorry there is not much more you can do! Hey! Now you know for next time! icon_wink.gif Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 6

It's probably too late for you to read this, but when that happened to me, I put a fan on it to help it dry quickly.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%