So Sick Of Doing Cakes For Work

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 12:14am by auntmamie

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 21

Does anyone else have this issue? You get asked to make a cake for work, bring it in, and are then required to get all the plates, napkins, forks, etc., as well as cut, serve, and then be left to clean up the entire mess that everyone leaves? Including plates left on the table?

I am getting to the point that I don't want to do cakes for work anymore.

GRRRRRR. icon_mad.gif

20 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 21

I know EXACTLY what you mean. icon_mad.gif

Not only do you get suckered in to serving and clean-up, but I brought one of my "practice" cakes in one time and set it up in the break area. It was only an 8" round and there's about 70 people in the office, but hey, first come, first served I thought. But people actually had the nerve to COMPLAIN to me that there wasn't enough cake and they didn't get a piece! icon_surprised.gif

I'm sorry, but I brought this cake in FOR FREE for anyone who wanted it. Tough cake balls if you didn't get a piece. tapedshut.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 21

Way back when, I was suckered into the always doing the cutting (it's a sheet cake! how hard is it to cut squares!). I said one day, when it was just assumed that I was the one who had to cut the cake, "I don't get paid to cut the cake." One kiss-up said, "If your employer asks you to cut a cake, aren't they paying you to cut a cake?" to which I replied, "Then they can ask any one of you to cut the cake since you would be getting paid to cut it, too."

I guess I lucked out when I was just too stupid to bring in plates, forks, etc. When someone asked "where's the plates?" I said, "I was told to bring in the cake. You'll have to ask the party planners what they plan to do about plates. I'm not the party planner."

Later in life, especially when I started doing cookies, and people would ask for freebies ... "when are you bringing in cookies? when are you bringing in a cake?", I would reply, "As soon as I get your check that pays for it."

AJsGirl, I'd run into that when I WOULD bring free cookies in ... they would be the overbakes that I'd have left over at the end of the week. I'd send an email out to the office "Overbakes at Debi's Desk" and everyone knew if they didn't get there soon, they didn't get any cookies. So you can tell the complainers, "You need to run faster to the break room, then. Don't you know how good my cakes are?" (smile sweetly, bat eyelashes!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Later in life, especially when I started doing cookies, and people would ask for freebies ... "when are you bringing in cookies? when are you bringing in a cake?", I would reply, "As soon as I get your check that pays for it."

Oh, I am SO going to have to remember this one! Now that I've started my decorating class I'm asked that every other day! icon_rolleyes.gif

Gatorfan

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 21

indydebi, you are so great! I'll have to remember that!

You're too cool for this board. icon_cool.gif

indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 21

Trust me, guys, it took me lots of years of putting up with the same frustrations you are going thru until I got to this point! See? There IS a good part to getting old!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 21

That's exactly what I tell them at DHs office. They thought I was kidding, until the food stopped. Snort.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:58am
post #8 of 21

This just makes me wanna slap y'all girls. No one can take advantage of you without your permission.

If you are sick of the way people behave, then stop bringing in free food. Presumably these folks are grown-ups and should know how to act, but it sure sounds like they weren't raised right. It's not up to you to teach them basic manners.

Stop the freebies, or if you still want to bring in cakes, just don't do the other stuff, like the plates and clean-ups.

Sheesh. It's that simple, folks.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:10am
post #9 of 21

indydebi!! I love your way of thinking!!

You're a girl after my own heart!!

The more they get, the more they want!

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:14am
post #10 of 21

I just let my co-workers know I baked it and do not cut it. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreationsByCaryl

That's exactly what I tell them at DHs office. They thought I was kidding, until the food stopped. Snort.

omg, this happens at MY hubby's office! They love my cheeseballs and he will take one in once in awhile. Then it got to the point where everyone was asking him to bring them in. But no one volunteered to chip in to buy the crackers, the plates, the napkins, etc. So he stopped bringing them in. He said he used to marvel at how often they wanted him to bring some of his wife's food in, but none of them ever brought ANYTHING in.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 21

I chuckled while reading this thread....as I've been in that boat....however, I never had a problem with the forks, plates, napkins, etc., as we were such hogs we kept a stock-pile of them! he he!

lukysilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukysilver Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 21

I was also in this same boat although I never had to bring plates, cups, napkins etc. I am however very lucky in the fact that now my office pays me to bake for all the birthday's at work (mostly they just cover the grocery expense) but it allows me to bake and not go in the hole. That however has turned into lots of people (including my office manager) asking for goodies on the weeks there are no birthday's. I simply tell him, are you paying me? If he say's no then I say sorry no goodies this week, lol.

icon_smile.gif

lukysilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukysilver Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 21

I was also in this same boat although I never had to bring plates, cups, napkins etc. I am however very lucky in the fact that now my office pays me to bake for all the birthday's at work (mostly they just cover the grocery expense) but it allows me to bake and not go in the hole. That however has turned into lots of people (including my office manager) asking for goodies on the weeks there are no birthday's. I simply tell him, are you paying me? If he say's no then I say sorry no goodies this week, lol.

icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreationsByCaryl

omg, this happens at MY hubby's office! They love my cheeseballs and he will take one in once in awhile. Then it got to the point where everyone was asking him to bring them in. But no one volunteered to chip in to buy the crackers, the plates, the napkins, etc. So he stopped bringing them in. He said he used to marvel at how often they wanted him to bring some of his wife's food in, but none of them ever brought ANYTHING in.

This used to happen at my husband's office too, so I stopped sending in freebies. Now they place orders and do not complain about the price. The only time I send anything in is when they have a potluck. I did hear that some people were taking my desserts home to share with their families. Those cheapskates have yet to place an order.

When I am practicing a technique, I send the cake to my kid's school and put it in the teachers lounge. No plates, no forks and no napkins. If I am nice enough to give you a free cake, it's up to you how you eat it.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:44pm
post #16 of 21

I know how you feel, though not for work but for a playgroup I was in. When I was just getting started decorating I offered to do a few baby shower cakes for free just to get the practice, now they expect it plus contributing to the gift and cooking a meal after the kid comes. Thankfully one of the ladies said "I feel that if you make the cake that should be your geift" Thank goodness!!

Sue

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Now they place orders and do not complain about the price.

My daughter says we are the cookie version of the drug dealers ... the freebies are to get you hooked ..... and after that you PAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 21

I go threw this too... I volunteered to make cupcakes for work for Christmas. Where I was working it's a small retail shop and we're very very VERY busy and holiday was 10 times worse. So all of us that were on duty that day had to take turns to go in the back for the "party". This one assistant manager made me clock out!!! for the party! But the manager fixed that lol... Anyway I was asked at valentine's day to make a cake for the day of and I was sick so I pawned it off on someone else and called out sick that day lmfao...

For a baby shower I was told "Well she said to ask you if you'd make the cake as her gift because we can't afford the cake" so I did because it was my god daughter's shower. Now I'm being asked to make my other god daughter's wedding cake for free as their gift.... In order to do this gift! I have to buy a $40.00 stand and a $5.00 plate and pay a total of $60.00 with shipping just for this gift... They haven't figured out what they want as far as flavors, looks, nothing! So I guess I'll make whatever I want to make lmao....

But I've decided this is it! I'm not doing anymore freebies I've got a website to pay for now and am not working anymore (due to the illness at valentines day I ended up quitting lol) so I need paying orders and not freebie orders and if I don't get their order because they can't afford it so be it!

Hubby's ex-wife asked me to make their daughter's birthday cake 2 years ago... was my first paid order. She hasn't asked for another since! But every party we're invited to since then she orders a $50 ice cream cake and some nasty hard candy letters and asks me to decorate the cake with them.... how freakin hard is it to throw these letters on this cake.... and how is it cheaper then my $35.00 custom cake? lol

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:03pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukysilver

icon_smile.gif

The same for me! When I started cake decorating I would bring my practice cakes, etc... But this month was the first time my job started paying me for the cake. Like you, it really just covers the supplies, but the money helps to purchase more supplies.

zumbacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zumbacakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:12pm
post #20 of 21

I am also tired of coworkers asking for a free cake. When I am ask to bring I cake - I tell them sure but you have to contribute because I will pick it up at Costco. After that, no one has asked me to bring a cake. Now I bring a vegetable or fruit platter.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:14am
post #21 of 21

Wow - thanks for all the support girls! icon_biggrin.gif

My cakes for work are paid, but, like some of you, I just get enough to cover the cost. $30 for a 10" round or a 9x13, which is over the grocery store price, but lower than I want. But, it is practice, I get get about 90% free reign with the flavor and design, so I can't complain too much. I just don't like being the "clean up slave".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%