Venue Wants To See My Food Permits And Biz Licence

Decorating By heathercarnold Updated 22 Feb 2008 , 11:29pm by CoutureCake

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 5

I had a bride e-mail for a wedding cake that I'm doing in June and apparently the venue that she is getting married at asked to make sure i am all up to date on licenses and permits.
I haven't heard of this before? I have been approved for working out of a local kitchen and my business is registered so I'm not worried but wondered if that is a normal questions for places to ask.

4 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

It can be. For insurance reasons they do this.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 5

It's not really all that strange. Most places though don't really worry about that for a cake, they may just ask for it when a person is bringing in an outside caterer. But it does happen, especially at higher end venues.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

It's very very common. I was talking with a new venue just this week and they want a copy of my health dept license, my food safe certificate and of course the certificate of liability insurance, PLUS i have to get a food permit from THEIR county, too (only $40, so no biggie. I just show them my county health dept license and they issue one for their county. Just the govt's way of getting and other buck out of us! icon_mad.gif ).

I have discovered that most places are more concerned that you are insured.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 5

The first Groom's Cake I ever delivered had a site that was anal about this... Granted, the cake had been baked in a licensed kitchen at a site they off-site catered frequently so it wasn't TOO big of a deal, but still...

It's also the reason they tell you to have this stuff available to grab. I actually have mine scanned into the computer so can provide a copy if needed at a moment's notice. It puts people's minds at ease when they ask and you're like "here it is" because you aren't afraid of it.

It's the old saying "If you're doing nothing wrong, you've got NOTHING to be afraid of!".. If a site is asking for it, they're CYA and it is good for you because you know it'll be a possible source of income in the future because you don't have to worry about anyone who isn't legal bringing a cake in...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%