This Is Unfair, Why????

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 8 Jan 2007 , 2:05pm by tiggy2

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #1 of 34

Dragees can be shipped to California?? Does anyone knows any company that will?? I just don't understand why icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

33 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #2 of 34

the laws regarding edibles and safety are different in each state. have them sent to a relative in another state, then have them forward them to you. i imagine most retailers know the rules and abide by them.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:49am
post #3 of 34

I assume you mean "can't". icon_biggrin.gif Is it because they aren't legal or what??? Did we make another absurd law? icon_confused.gif

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/dragees.htm

They ship to California, don't they? icon_confused.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

Dragees can be shipped to California?? Does anyone knows any company that will?? I just don't understand why icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

Eh, they are sold in California. I buy them all the time.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:54am
post #5 of 34

Yes, I meant can't, sorry.

Thanks for the link!! For some reason CA has the most stupid laws!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #6 of 34

www.candylandcrafts.com won't ship to Ca. either.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #7 of 34

Where do you buy Dragee's in CA??

I thought CA just doesn't have them period yet alone to have any shipped to CA because of the FDA thing.......

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:05am
post #8 of 34

The FDA pulled dragees is the late 80's. Supposedly Martha Stewart used them in one her Christmas magazives and FDA got involved. The FDA found that the dragees were lead based (which gives children brain damage). So they were pulled of the market. You use to only be able to get them from France but now other countries make them. We can get them in K.C. Missouri. without lead. The sad part of this story is my mom used to buy dragees at the time and my sister would eat containers full of the stuff. It explains alot why my sister is the way she is (brain damage!!!)
Andrea

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:07am
post #9 of 34

Fairytale,

Are they real dragees or edible pearls? Yes, fairytale, then please tell us. I have a friend out there who would like to buy some. I had to send her the last batch she had.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:13am
post #10 of 34
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:17am
post #11 of 34

No wonder I haven't been able to buy these anywhere in Florida. I've been looking all over and just thought I was looking in the wrong spots.

Where does everyone else get theirs? Mail order only?

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:20am
post #12 of 34

There is a store near where I live that sells larger sized dragees. If anyone would be interested in me looking into them, I would be willing to buy and ship if reimbursed.

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:41am
post #13 of 34

Okay, dragees are those gold or silver balls on top of cakes that they sell in little containers right? Collete Peters has a bunch on one of her covers right? If so, in Miami Florida, miles cake sells them left and right. I don't know if he can ship.

His email is milescakes.com (I hope i am allowed to post this)

I can't use them though, they always slip off my cake. Don't laugh!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 3:53am
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

Fairytale,

Are they real dragees or edible pearls? Yes, fairytale, then please tell us. I have a friend out there who would like to buy some. I had to send her the last batch she had.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yep, real dragees. I've been told a thousand time why they can be sold in CA, but keep forgetting the reason. However I think I'll decline from naming the stores where I get them. Don't want to put anyone on the spot since there seems to be some question about this.
LL

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 34

I have never had a problem buying these in Texas. Seems like a lot of laws are the result of a lawsuit or complaint.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 34

I don't know what part of California you are in or if you ever get out to Vegas but they sell them at the Sur La Table store at the Aladdin.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 1:29am
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

I don't know what part of California you are in or if you ever get out to Vegas but they sell them at the Sur La Table store at the Aladdin.

icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif I think now I have an excuse to go to Vegas !!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:03am
post #18 of 34

No problem buying them here , I am in Texas also.

rflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rflores Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 34

I'm in California and I bought some online last year on ebay and they shipped them to me. I can get back on ebay and find out who it was. It was a candy store

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 7:03pm
post #20 of 34

I buy them in Fl. Both the gold and silver.
I was raised with them. Never knew about the lead. Just know they are hard and can chip the teeth. Nevertheless, they are still pretty and I still use them.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:11pm
post #21 of 34

There is a HUGE crafts store by me that used to sell dragees, but pulled them. The sign posted said that dragees are no longer considered "edible" and the store no longer carries them. As far as I know, there is no law in Nebraska that prevents them from being sold, it's just a decision that one particular store made.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:22pm
post #22 of 34

There is an awesome wedding store in Sioux Falls, SD that sells them too. Lots of sizes and colors. I assume SD doesn't have a law against them yet?

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 34

Whether are not you can purchase them in Texas, they ARE prohibited. The FDA says they are not safe for human consumption and any cake with them on it, needs to have a disclaimer to remove dragees before eating.

Definitely can't find them in my part of East Texas.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:34pm
post #24 of 34

there cake specialty store here in Denver sells both Silver and Gold but they are noted as ''non-edible''

right. seems like a pain to pick them all off the side of your cake slice before you eat it.

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 8:50pm
post #25 of 34

Hmm, that makes me wonder. I searched high and low the last couple of Christmases for the little round silver candy "pellets" that we used to use for decorating sugar cookies with my mom growing up. I couldn't figure out why I've never been able to find them in any grocery store or craft store. While they were definately smaller than the one shown in that picture, I wonder if maybe they were just a smaller version and thats why I can't find them anymore.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:30pm
post #26 of 34

The 'laws' passed in the USA crack me up - we can buy them (the metallic silver, gold, blue, green & pink ones at least), in the regular supermarkets in Europe! Maybe ours are coated with something different icon_confused.gif?!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:42pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluke0705

Okay, dragees are those gold or silver balls on top of cakes that they sell in little containers right? Collete Peters has a bunch on one of her covers right? If so, in Miami Florida, miles cake sells them left and right. I don't know if he can ship.

His email is milescakes.com (I hope i am allowed to post this)

I can't use them though, they always slip off my cake. Don't laugh!

you need to push them INTO your cake or dip them into a little butter cream or melted chocolate.

Where in Florida are you? I just "discovered" Miles! Man oh MAN I could LIVE there!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 10:42pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

Memories! That Sur La Table is where I bought my first luster dusts. I actually haven't used those ones yet either. icon_redface.gif

While supermarkets/craft stores don't sell them, I can get them at Sur La Table and specialty food stores here in Utah. Even as a kid I NEVER ate them. I think they are way too hard and fear chipping my tooth on one of them. But I do think they are pretty and I will use them when needed.

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:28am
post #29 of 34

My sister works for our local party store that sells them and they have a web site if I'm not wrong I believe they ship them to CA. The site is www.globalsugarart.com

Angelia

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 12:44am
post #30 of 34

GeminiRJ I think I know the store you're talking about, but they sure have everything else. Nice to see someone else from Omaha here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%