I Need Help Pricing (With Story)

Decorating By RiLinNa Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 11:30pm by funbun

RiLinNa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiLinNa Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 2

I appreciate the advice. I struggle with pricing because "I" would never pay what I charge for a cake. My husband has to remind me its because I can make it for myself. He tells me people will pay for what they cannot or willnot do for themselves. Homemade MMF is huge when people find out how it tastes and not like Wiltons stuff. No one around here does what I still have a hard time pricing.

I normally dont do large cakes...because there is little request for them but when this came along it both excited me and made me nervous. The wedding is in April. She recently informed me that she needs the top layer to be a diabetic recipe. I have to see what I can dig up on that.

1 reply
funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 2

When I first started my own business I had alot of people tell me I was way too expensive and there was no way they would pay what I asked.
I always told tem to have a nice day and asked if they needed directions to the Wal-Mart or grocery stores.
icon_razz.gif

Don't waste your time on price only customers because in the end they are your PITA customers. They will always try to get more so they can brag to their friends on what a steal they got.

Instead I look for customers (thats right look) who understand that my desserts are one of a kind and taste 1000 times better than grocery stores.
I actively look for customers all the time, even in Walmart, when I see someone in line with a cake or party supplies I talk to them and give them my card.
I use to charge $2.50 per serving on fondant cakes and now my average price is $5.00 and I am in the postion now to up my prices again and I will.

Don't sell yourself short, if you worked for someone else you would expect them to pay you for the great job you do. So expect your clients to pay the same for you.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%