Pirates Of The Carribean Cake Ideas Please!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 7:38pm by chubbycheeks

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 14

Just had an enquiry from a lady wanting a POTC theme cake for her daughter. It needs to serves 15 children approx. I don't know what to suggest, the only thing I can come up with is the good ol' galleon/pirate ship cake (although as 3D/sculpted work that equals $!). Does any one have any other ideas - perhaps a bit more feminine? I'm waiting to find out her budget, but all ideas welcome - please!

13 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 14

NO-one?! Just got back to me with her budget - $30-$40, umm, yeah - pirate ship is out! My average cake is $50-$60! So, now I'm in need of some real creative help - I'm not spending more than 2 hours on this cake (I'm a business, not a charity!) for that price. So, quick ideas plase! Thank you!

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 14

What about the gold coin. I am not sure how hard that would be, but currently that is the only idea I have.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 14

How about a FBCT?

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

what about a beach and ocean and a figurine of a pirate ship on the ocean... i don't know... its too bad that you can't do a a carved pirate ship...

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 14

Tammiemarie posted this cake that I just LOVED! I would do a 1/4 sheet, iced or airbrushed blue....you wouldn't even have to ice it smooth because it's the water! You could use ground graham for the sand and I saw some chocolate coins at the dollar store this morning....then you could make a MMF plaque like tammiemarie did and just draw or paint on it....or heck, just pipe one on in buttercream! VERY fast and easy and I would charge $35-$40 for it, when I normally charge $20 for a 1/4 sheet! I bet they would love it!
Cammie
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 14

Do a FBCT, you can use your imagination and drawing skills and not have to do too much work. If the customer feels she can't afford a sculpted cake do the next best think. You might get her as a regular customer and that's worth lots of $ down the road.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 14

Well mine is what you have already mentioned, but maybe you would like to see it anyway. I used gumpaste plaque and edible image for Jack Sparrow, made the ropes with two thin lines of fondant with a clay gun and twisted them together. Gumpaste Seashells, treasure chest and sails on the ship. I baked the cake in heart shaped pans and cut to the shape of the ship. Iced lightly in chocolate icing and then wood planks of fondant impressed with a wood grain impression mat. It was made for a girl too, my granddaughters 17th birthday, she is mad about Johnny Depp.
LL
LL

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 14

I have done a cheep version of a pirate cake. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it but, the client was very happy. I used two small oval cakes and chopped off about an inch of one of the rounded sides. I used the excess cake to build up the back of the ship. The cannons comming out of the side were Nestle Crunch Stix. When you cut them it looks like they have a hollow center. (I also used them in a pirate ship cake I have in my photos) I found a pirate flag in my Print Shop and glued it to some dowel rods. Then I used blue icing to make it look like waves were hitting the lower sides of the ship. I charged her $15.00. I hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 14

Saw your request for a pirate ship cake I made one for my son and I am a amature cake decorator. It took me maybe 20 min. or so. I have a picture if you are intrested in seeing it I will try to post it to my pictures

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all your replies! She's now upped her budget to $50 which gives me a lot more time to work with! Cake is due in a couple of weeks, so time to decide on something thumbs_up.gif

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 14

Does it have to be Pirates of the Carribean? or just pirates? I saw these on, maybe the wilton site?... Anyhow, thought they were so cute. Just a thought.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 14

I made a treasure chest cake was ws incredibly simple and didn't take much time AT ALL!!! You could easily make that for any pirate themed bday....what about making a plaque that says "Dead man's chest" or something to relate to the movies

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 14

I love POTC! icon_smile.gif My first thought, since it's for a girl, is to do something with Elizabeth's wedding dress.. like when they show it floating in the water (think it's from no. 2). But, I suppose they'd really have to be familiar with the movie to do that one, huh!

The treasure chest one would be good. You could do either coins and jewels (from the first one) or do the "Dead Man's" chest as KHalstead suggested (from the 2nd one).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%