Happy Adoption Day Cake?

Decorating By crp7 Updated 16 Aug 2005 , 6:47pm by aunt-judy

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 7

My friend and I have 5 year olds that we adopted as infants. Hers is a girl and mine is a boy. This year I would like to have a small party (just our kids and husbands) to celebrate the day the courts said they were officially and forever ours! We both find it awkward to talk to the kids about being adopted since it is not something we think about -- they are just our kids. So I hope this little party will be a good way to bring it up again in a positive way and to celebrate our being a family.

I am rambling but I am looking for ideas for a cake. I don't know whether to just make it a general party cake with confetti or something or do something adoption related.

Thanks,
Crp7

6 replies
jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:41am
post #2 of 7

How about one of the cakes made to look like a gift wrapped package with the fondant bow on top? You could ice the "package" with blue and white for clouds "wrapping paper". Then make the fondant confetti and streamers to sprinkle around the base. Tell the children they are a gift from God.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 7

That is a good idea. I have until mid-September to decide to keep thinking.

Cindy

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 7

We have adopted all 3 of our boys, although I dont have a picture, the last ones "Got Me Day" cake had our whole family and the dog as stick people in bright clothes done in a child drawing fashion with us all holding hands, my youngest loved it.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 7

The day my husband adopted my 2 boys (from my 1st marriage) - we went out to eat lunch at a swanky restaurant after the court hearing (we were already dressed up after all! and already in the downtown area!) Every year we would go back to that restaurant for lunch - and they got to miss school for the day. We celebrated it as a combination of things - my husband was lucky to have the boys as his own, they were lucky to have him as their Dad, and I was just lucky all the way around! I think its a great idea to honor that day and tell your child how much they're loved. thumbs_up.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 7

YOU SHOULD CELEBRATE IT AS "GOT ME DAY". MY GIRLFRIEND AND HER HUSBAND ADOPTED A GIRL FROM CHINA AND A BOY FROM GUATAMALA(SP?) AND THEY CELEBRATE GOT ME DAY. THEY TAKE THE CHILD (TWO DIFFERENT DAYS) AND SPEND THE DAY SHOPPING FOR A SPECIAL TREAT AND GO OUT FOR DINNER. THEY MAKE IT VERY SPECIAL! YOUR PARTY WILL BE A GREAT WAY TO CELEBRATE. I WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 7

you could do a "forever" cake in the shape of the infinity symbol (elongated figure-8 on its side), and decorate it with confetti and streamers and such. you could tell your children that it represents your family's infinite love and committment.

if you haven't come across them, check out books by robert munsch, who writes wonderful, gentle and funny children's books, some of which include themes about adoption -- which he has experience with being an adoptive parent himself:
http://www.robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=33
http://www.robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=36

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%