How Secretive Are You About Your Designs For Competitions?

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm by ape

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 18

I have these two great ideas and really want to talk to someone about them but I'm not sure if it's bad to talk to other designers who might be entering the same competition about the design.

Geeze - if that doesn't make sense, please excuse me. I'm hopped up on Nyquil right now to calm this HORRIBLE cold I have.

Rachel

17 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 18

OMG!!!! I have been thinking the same thing ALL day today!!!!! I hope someone replies I am very curious to know also!!!!!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 18

If you are talking about the OK show then yea I would keep it to yourself.. LOL or pm someone you trust to talk about it. I know the people that enter that show don't tell people what they are entering or making, especially on the cake boards.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 18

Crap. LOL - Thank you!

Rachel

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 18

I totally agree with bonnscakesAZ! Last year I kept my design secret (from CC) until I returned from the Austin show, despite the fact that I wanted to post the final product SOOOOOO badly. I would just pm someone if you really want to discuss it.

This year, same thing, keeping it quiet!! detective.gif

april

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 18

Hi Rachel,

I am entering the Sydney Easter show and so far I know of one other CC member who is entering the same section as me so I am going to keep it secret, it adds to the surprise and excitement of entering the competition! all I know is that once I have made the cake I am going to go crazy not being able to upload my photo for feedback!

I think you could safely say that we would not be entering the same contest so If you want to PM me we could bounce ideas off each other!!

Sandra

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 18

You can tell someone whatever you want but can they replicate what you are talking about?? Without a picture I could be thinking a completely different thought than you!

I have tossed a many ideas in my head!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 18

I'm not a competition person, either entering or just watching. Feel free to PM for opinins.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 12:31am
post #9 of 18

LOL, I have a big mouth when it comes to talking about my cake ideas, but I've since learned (the HARD way) that there are people on the competition circuit that you can't trust.

That said, if you want to bounce some ideas off me, I'd love to hear what you are thinking about. So that you feel comfortable telling me (or if you want to decide not to!) I compete in the Austin, McKinny Sugar Wonders, and Oklahoma shows, and will be moving into the Professional division this spring. That way, if you feel like you'd be telling a competitor your ideas, you can chose not to.

thumbs_up.gif

Deanna

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 12:42am
post #10 of 18

I would keep it to yourself......I too am entering my local competition again for the 3rd time and I would love to talk about it and get ideas/advice, but not on an open forum and definitely not with anyone that may be entering as well!
Find someone who you trust their talent, judgement and that will not be entering and talk to them

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #11 of 18

For the most part, I keep my designs to myself. I do tell a couple of friends what I'm doing, but we have different styles, so we don't compete against each other in some categories or divisions.

I do give feedback to people who ask and I NEVER take their ideas and try to pass them off as my own. I have told some that I wish I had thought of their idea and now I can't use it! icon_smile.gif

As others have said, the Oklahoma show is usually kept secret. It's not usually because of the fear of copy cats, but for the surprise. There are also some people who don't need to know what is being entered. It's not always known who the judges will be until much later. This information can skew a judges view. It shouldn't, but it does. Other problems crop up in Tulsa as well.

Those are my issues. icon_rolleyes.gif

Michele

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I do give feedback to people who ask and I NEVER take their ideas and try to pass them off as my own. I have told some that I wish I had thought of their idea and now I can't use it! icon_smile.gif

I was thinking along these lines as well.....you may mention an idea to someone who may have ALREADY had a similar idea, which can certainly happen. To avoid any questions of whether they "stole" your idea...keep it to yourself until the show.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I compete in the Austin, McKinny Sugar Wonders, and Oklahoma shows, and will be moving into the Professional division this spring. That way, if you feel like you'd be telling a competitor your ideas, you can chose not to.

thumbs_up.gif

Deanna

Hey Deanna,

You know I'm judging in McKinney. I'm going to keep an eye out for your stuff! icon_twisted.gif

Just kidding, you know I'll be fair.

See you then,
Michele

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 18

Michele, I trust you completely! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

I am hoping to try something out of my usual orbit this time around. We'll have to see. I may lose my nerve and stick to the usual. I'm still in the pre-show wishy-washy stage.

Can't wait to see you again, though!

Deanna

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 18

I blurt my ideas out; who cares if someone copies me, it's not like they'll do it better than me. icon_biggrin.gif Haha, JK.

But I do tell people my ideas (which is odd since I trust nobody) and if they want to steal them, that's their problem; they know that I thought of them first.

It would be stupid to copy someone else's design anyway; if you're entering the competition and you make something very similar to an opponent's (even if it is far superior in quality), the judges will see that and think less of your entry. JMO.

ape Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 18

How do you prove who thought of it first though!

I can tell you that everyday I worry that I will open CC and see something that looks like my competition cake.....if I actually told people, then I'd really be worried!!!! I know.....total paranoia!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 18

I would never share......here is why, back when I was just a young adult, I was entering a Halloween costume contest for big bucks. Anyway, my best friend was pumping me for information on my design. Then guess what? Yeah that's right she showed up in the same design but poorly constructed costume. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I fumed for weeks, now I don't share with anyone, not even with those I love who might be creating or entering the same contest. LOL!!!!!!

Hey Ape, there have been a couple designs that I have in my sketch book that showed up on cake central that were similar to my piece before I created my piece. icon_cry.gif "In the art world, movements are created with similar thought processes like that and it happened all the time to me when I was creating photo installation art." But now for another example, my very first steak cake I wrapped and slapped a label on, sure enough I found Mike's Amazing cakes after I posted it here, then next I found another similar cake on CC. And I thought I was so original - Ha not so.......icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Okay Edited for Stupid Spelling Error......I Should just Add this Sentence to Every Post I Make!

ape Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #18 of 18

I'm sure it happens all the time.....there's only so many different designs! But I keep it all to myself (except for my non-competition friends) until after the competition. I'm sure if I was just medicated, I'd be better!!! HEHEHEHEHEHE!

And I have to add.....HOW RUDE OF YOUR FRIEND....that's just rotten!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%