Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By ernurse39 Updated 30 Dec 2006 , 7:24pm by Tkeys

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:11am
post #1 of 13

What is rolled buttercream and how and what is it used for?

Thanks.

12 replies
pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:16am
post #2 of 13

rolled buttercream is similar to fondant but a lot softer. I can be difficult to work with and tears easily. I prefer the taste of the RBC to the MMF. The other complaint I have seen many have is how shiny it is. HTH

Nikki

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:17am
post #3 of 13

Rolled butter cream is almost a blend of buttercream and fondant. It is softer and a bit more greasy than fondant, but many say it tastes better.

It is used by some on cakes, and it is terrific on cookies.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:24am
post #4 of 13

Rolled buttercream is harder to use to cover an entire cake but great for small cakes, accents and cookies. I used it on my Spongebob cake and also on the ornaments in my photos. I love it because it is shiny. It is really rich to eat. I think there is a recipe for it in the recipe section.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 13

Rolled buttercream is basically made from crisco, karo syrup, and powdered sugar with flavorings (yes, a heart-stopping, artery-clogging recipe) so it tastes more like buttercream but it works into a dough and can be used more like fondant. It can be used to cover cakes, I've heard, but I've only ever used it for cookies. HTH!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeys

(yes, a heart-stopping, artery-clogging recipe)

icon_lol.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 12:21am
post #7 of 13

Is there a recipe for it here at cc?

Tkeys Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 12:30am
post #8 of 13

Here is the recipe I use:

1 C Karo (light corn syrup)
1 C Shortening (I prefer Crisco)
½ tsp Fine Salt (popcorn salt)
1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Extract of your choice (I use more vanilla, but you can use almond, lemon, orange.your choice)
2 lb Powdered Sugar

Cream together shortening and Karo. Add salt and flavorings and mix well. Switch to the dough hook on your HEAVY DUTY mixer, add sugar, one cup at a time until combined. Mixture will be extremely thick. Turn-out dough and knead using more sugar if sticky for at least 2 minutes.

Store in airtight container and/or Ziploc bag either at room temperature or the refrigerator.

Do not attempt to make this recipe in a smaller mixer....must be a Heavy Duty mixer such as Kitchen Aid or Viking.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:05am
post #10 of 13

Tkeys,
How long does this recipe last stored in an airtight container?

Tug

Tkeys Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:55am
post #11 of 13

It can last a while in the refrigerator, and it can be frozen, too (there really isn't anything in it that can spoil. I usually wrap it in saran wrap, then put it in a ziplock. I've had some that has gotten too hard to work with . . . rather than trying to rehydrate it, I've just thrown it out - I figured if it sat around long enough to get hard, it probably wouldn't be good enough to serve. I worry about germs, so if I am going to keep it more than a week or two, I prefer to freeze it, but there is no reason it wouldn't last in the refrigerator.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 13

Wow, this stuff freezes too? I'm guessing just like any frosting, once you thaw it, you'll need to knead back to the right consistency?

Tkeys Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 13

Exactly! You just store it in your freezer, then let it sit out until it reaches room temperature, then knead it until it reaches the right consistency again. You can rehydrate if necessary with a bit of karo syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%