Flavoring Your Cake Batter Or Frosting.

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 25 Jul 2015 , 1:08am by SquirrellyCakes

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:09am
post #1 of 20

Hi Everyone,
For those who have added flavors to your cake batter or buttercream, may I ask how much you use for each? And what is the most popular or most requested and best flavor in your opinion? Any that you'd totally stear clear of?

I've seen those tiny bottles of liquid flavorings in a gazillion flavors and am really wanting to try some.

Thanks!
KimAZ

19 replies
kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:23am
post #2 of 20

Hi Kim,
I have used the following flavors in my cakes or frostings. Amaretto, Chambord, Baileys, Creme Brulee liquors. Usually for the cakes, I would poke holes in the cakes while they are still warm and pour some over the cake. For frostings, I add about 1/4 liquid cup. You can add more if you choose but I try not to make the cake too boozy. For non-alcoholic versions (smile) such as lemon I use lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon extract. Same with orange, orange juice, orange zest, orange extract. I also use almond and vanilla extracts.
I have some oils but have not used them in cakes, I tried them in fondant before.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 11:09am
post #3 of 20

I am presuming you are talking about the oils that come in the tiny bottles and every flavor from Amaretto to Watermelon. Never EVER put a quarter cup of oil-flavoring in a cake tho unless that cake is REALLY REALLY big! icon_lol.gif With oils you just need a few drops, they are very concentrated (that is why the bottles are very small). I have heard people around here who have used the oils in their cakes and icings, and even the labels on the oils say they can be used for cakes and cookies. I havent made a cake with them yet tho, I have only used them in candy.

My first cake using flavoring will be Bubble Gum or Cotton Candy lol! Just kidding-I think that would be a bit of a stretch in a cake. Maybe I would do it with kids cookies tho. I think the first one I will try in a cake will be coffee, see if it does a better job than using crystals (and since I dont use instant coffee, it would actually be cheaper as I do not have to buy a more expensive jar of good instant coffee and wonder what to do with the rest of it). Coffee-flavoring I know I could pass off in a cake.

I was in the cake supply shop yesterday and they have a huge assortment.

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 20

I use butter/vanilla flavoring in my BC. I usually add about 1 1/2 tsp. per recipe. I also use a stick of butter in the recipe. My recipe makes about 3-4 cups.

For coconut cakes, I will use 1 1/2 tsp of coconut extract in the icing recipe and a few tablespoons to the cake batter.

I have also used almond extract and another popluar choice where I live is something called creme bouquet. It is a flavoring that combines several flavors. I have found it at my local cake shop.

Also, I have tasted bc flavored with fruit drinks like raspberry lemonade. That was unusual, but very tasty. The girl that made it used enough to flavor and then added a little more sugar to get it to the right consistency.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

For those who have added flavors to your cake batter or buttercream, may I ask how much you use for each? And what is the most popular or most requested and best flavor in your opinion? Any that you'd totally stear clear of?

I believe you mean LorAnn oils. They are very concentrated and don't take much, but how much to use varys on what you're using it on. You kind of have to "flavor to taste". A popular one I've found is Butter Nut. I also use the Bavarian Creme to flavor my pastry cream, and Cheesecake or Sperimint to flavor wedding mints. There are so many good ones. I haven't run into a really bad one yet, but I've only tried about a dozen of the many flavors. Just pick flavors you generally like anyways. icon_biggrin.gif

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 20

i havent used the oils for cakes. but i have used them for frosting and candy. ived cherry,lemon,strawberry,peppermint,mint,watermelon,bubble gum and rootbeer icon_smile.gif

there great to used and fun to try. just dont use too much

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:19am
post #7 of 20

I have only used the oils in fondant and I use very little as they are very concentrated. I have not tried them in frostings or candy

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:27am
post #8 of 20

The lady who taught the wilton classes I took told us to add 1/2 tsp of butter flavoring and 1/2 tsp of almond extract flavoring to each recipe of buttercream frosting, and I found that it really does make a difference in the flavor. I have not tried any other combinations as I'm not very good with experamenting yet.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:05am
post #9 of 20

Hi Kim,

I have used a variety of the Loranns oils and other concentrated flavorings (you can get them at ABC in Phoenix). It only takes a couple of drops of these flavors..if you put too much, it will make your cake/frosting (whatever you are putting it in) bitter tasting. It is definitely to taste. The only one that I have tried that my hubby doesn't like is the licorice one..but then again, he doesn't like licorice, so that makes sense.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:24am
post #10 of 20

For cake batter...I love to use mexican vanilla, vanilla butternut extract, and sometimes instant pudding. For a double batch of buttercream icing...I use 2 teaspoons mexican vanilla, 2 teaspoons butter extract, and 1 teaspoon cream bouquet extract.
traci

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 20

I couldn't resist those little bottles of flavoring! I made watermelon frosting for my dd and she loved it. I just added a few drops 1/8(?) tsp. to the frosting.

I have only begun to use extracts. A tiny bit of almond really enhances the flavor of cake or frosting. I did not like the rum extract-too fake. I can not even stand the smell of the butter extract. It smells and tastes like the fake butter they use at cinemas. Use sparingly!

My mom was really big on lemon bundt cakes when I was growing up. Pretty much everyone seems to like a light-lemon, buttery cake.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 20

I have tried Loraine almond and champagne flavors. The almond was okay, but tasted fake. The champagne tasted like hard liquor and nothing like champagne at all. So far I'm not impressed. I'd rather have the real thing or nothing at all.

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 20

Most preferr in the batter a combo of mexican vanilla and butter extracts. In the frostings - either vanilla/butter or almond, lemon, or orange.

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 20

the Loranine oils I use only for candy and not in cake batter or frostings... too fake tasting because they are just too concentrated in flavor and therefore to heavy tasting for frostings that require a delicate taste. Use extract flavorings instead of the flavored oils in the teeny-tiny bottles. Just my opinion.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommykicksbutt

the Loranine oils I use only for candy and not in cake batter or frostings... too fake tasting because they are just too concentrated in flavor and therefore to heavy tasting for frostings that require a delicate taste. Use extract flavorings instead of the flavored oils in the teeny-tiny bottles. Just my opinion.

Thanks. Those tiny bottles are so cute though I wanted to try some icon_smile.gif It wasn't really strong, but I just didn't care for it.

I've also tried the Crème Bouquet. It was awful. I don't know why you'd want your frosting to taste like that. It didn't even taste like food, it was more like eating your perfume.

an12.-_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
an12.-_ Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 6:38am
post #16 of 20

Last day I was on a search for best B'day cake..Got many varities but nothing impressed me...FInally I found one healthy recipe called the Apple Cake..Yeah it really devoured my guest..

Guys here is the recipe link

http://isabellenathan.blogspot.in/2014/09/apple-cake.html#more

Can anyone suggest me better alteration in it?

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 20

I have used cotton candy in the cake and my husband and kids loved it.....said it was by the far their favorite cake.  I have used it to flavor fondant before and it tastes great.  The only real way to know is to experiment.

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 20

You can also used flavored coffee creamers for the liquid in the buttercream frosting too.

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 12:16am
post #19 of 20

I only use natural vanilla and almond extracts etc for my cakes and frostings. I think the clear vanilla and butter flavor of Wilton tastes disgusting. For other flavors I use Liqueurs such as Kahlua, Frangelico, Cointreau, Amaretto, Kirsch, etc in cake and frosting. Nothing beats a true flavor. And don't forget grated orange, lemon, lime zest as well!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:07am
post #20 of 20

Inga1 - I feel the same way about using natural flavours. I hadn't  tried the Wilton clear vanilla in many years because I also thought it was terrible. But I bought some for a cake that I needed to be a bright white and it actually does taste quite a bit like real vanilla. I still prefer to use real vanilla but it is nice to know that in a pinch when I have to have a bright white- I can get a product that tastes like the real thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%