Cakes & A Baby Can It Be Done?

Lounge By ozcake Updated 27 Dec 2006 , 4:06pm by ozcake

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:09am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

We are expecting a baby (our first) next year and I would like still do cakes after the baby is born (not straight after the birth but some months down the track) - am I dreaming or can it be done? I was thinking of putting the baby in the port-a-cot so it would be safe (and contained) while I worked aswell as while it was asleep would this work or do I need a reality check? icon_confused.gif

I know there are a few CCers who are mums and do cakes but are your kids much older? Anyone able to do it with a little one or do I need to wait for him/her to get to a certain age?

TIA

6 replies
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 8:28am
post #2 of 7

You should be able to still do cakes. You may have to organize your time, as when the baby is sleeping to do certain things. Many of these moms seem to work around the kids When my kids were still at home, most of my work was done at night after they went to bed. When they are still in the infant stage, they take naps frequently so you probably will have more time.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:42am
post #3 of 7

Bake away! I did more baking while the kids were babies than I do now. They sleep more, are portable, and aren't needing homework and bike and sports help yet at that age. They don't mind if the dining table is covered in flour and powdered sugar because they are eating in a high chair. The house is cleaner generally because they aren't destroying it yet, with a trail of toys throughout. I found it much easier then. Enjoy your baking, and CONGRATS on the pregnancy!

Pemby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pemby Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 7

Hi,
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
I started cake decorating when my children were 9 years, 2 years and 6 moths. I have to say it was not easy! You have to plan your time very carefully! Ours for preparing things, baking, filling. Time for decorations.... Some of my cakes were planned wees before! But it is possible. And definitely with 1 baby! Good luck!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

I think it depends a LOT on the personality needs of your baby. My oldest (now 10) was a super high needs baby. I was a sahm mom that first year while taking night classes to get my master's degree. I literally got NOTHING done and we had to hire a cleaning lady twice a month to do the major stuff. He woke 4-6 times a night, so for one of his naps, I needed to nap too. and the remainder nap I did homework or tried to cook dinner. We ate more carry out/delivery that first year than the total for the remaining 13 years of our marriage. He was healthy, just very demanding.

8 years later I have DS #2 and I can do a lot more with him around. He heeds the "don't touch" can self entertain and just enjoys being in teh same room with me, not necessarily in arms. he's still pretty active (most people think he's a handful, but they didn't see how it was with #1!!!)

But even with that, I can't do ANYTHING for more than 10-15 minutes without reeling him in or interacting with him. I find it very difficult to do cakes/cooking with a baby underfoot, so I do them (very rarely, I'm afraid) after he's gone to sleep for uninterrupted work time and that's only been possible the last couple months now that he's sleeping through the night better. He too was a terrible sleeper and until he was 17 = 18 months he woke 5-7 times a night, so I was too exhausted throughout the day to work during his naptimes, I was just trying to survive.

But... there are kids that are easy and you can do more work with them. Just never let it get out of hand. You are having a child to be with that child and to help them become the best human being they can be. that can't be that way if you are cake decorating isntead of singing songs and reading books - cakes can wait, they won't. I've been kind of glad my kids demand my attention because I know that they are getting the attention all kids need. I might be less likely to devote so much time/energy if they didn't demand it, you know? But, doing a cake or two a week should be possible no matter the circumstances, you just have to plan your time very carefully and give yourself a lot of slack/flexibility in timeline.

Melissa

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:30am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

...so I was too exhausted throughout the day to work during his naptimes, I was just trying to survive.

Me, too! But I became very ill after having my baby... I wasn't able to bake a cake until she was three years old, when I was doing much better.

But I believe if you have the will, you can find a way!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your replies icon_smile.gif it was good to hear about your experiences.

I think I will just have to play it by ear and see how things go once the bub comes along and maybe when I feel like it might be possible maybe make a couple of practise run cakes to see how they go (I'm sure I could find someone to eat them) that way if it turns out to be too difficult I can put it off for a while.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%