13 Year Old Boy

Decorating By sheeny Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm by sheeny

sheeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeny Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I'm not a very experienced cake decorator, just a few months now...I've always been the baker of the family but turned to decorating cakes when I started getting bored with the same old cheesecakes and trifles I make on every occasion.

I am planning my brother's 13th bday party and just want to be sure I'm not going to humiliate him by doing something too "babyish"

The obvious one would be to do an Xbox 360...but I'm being selfish here I guess and want to do something more creative to gain more experience as well

My idea:

Use a Pyrex bowl to make half a planet...decorate the planet and set that down...using the 3-d bear pan...sculpt in areas to make an alien...decorate and set on top of pyrex bowl....then also have cupcakes like the little alien and spaceship ones on the Wilton project ideas website...

Please tell me if this is too "baby-ish" - if you have any ideas that are creative but do-able for an all buttercream cake decorating newbie that would also be great! Thanks!

4 replies
sheeny Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry just some more info: he is not a very sporty kid...so sports is out. Also, other than video games he loves hip hop...so I don't know whether to go with one of those or not...eek

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 5

I think what you have described sounds cool and not too babyish for a 13 year old...especially if you make it more "realistic" than "cartoonish" if you know what I mean.

Good luck and pleae post pictures when it is complete.

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

I just asked my 13 year old & he said he would like an alien type of cake. He said aliens are cool!! There's something about aliens,monsters, etc. that 13 year olds are in to!! Good luck & would love to see the final product!!

sheeny Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I would ask my brother himself but he likes to be surprised...in terms of pictures...I'm an early planner...the birthday is not until end of December...so I will post then!

Yayy...Aliens ARE cool...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%