Need Some Pricing Opinions!

Business By doughdough Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm by sarahnichole975

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 12

My babysitter approached me last night and asked me if I would be available to do a baby shower cake for a friend of hers in December. It will need to feed approx. 20 people.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I should charge her...I know she's a bit strapped for cash (she runs a daycare out of her home during the day and then babysits at night for extra income) so I'm thinking somewhere in the range of $40-50. OR I was also thinking we could do a trade where I do the cake and then get a free night of babysitting (I pay her $10 per hour normally).

What do you think?

11 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 12

Personally, I would see about a trade. We have like one person that can watch our kids but they are also the people we'd love to go out with to the movies or whatever.

I'm sure she'd love a trade if she's kind or tight on cash and you can get something that you would use as well. But I would ask that she not tell people about the price of the cake or the trade. That they need to ask you about prices. Last thing you need is tons of people offering trades for cake. Know what I mean?

Good luck!

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 12

I think a trade is a great idea, too. That way you can put as much into the cake as you want and won't feel like you're not getting what you think you deserve for it. (Especially if she is short on cash...)
We all know how valuable a good sitter is! Use this as a way to show her how much you respect her and get a nice evening out without the kids, too.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 12

I'd make cakes for free babysitting anyday!!!! A babysitter is really hard to come by for me...hey, where do you live and can I have her number? LOL *just kidding*

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 12

i vote trade!! just ask her trade for like a certain number of hours of sitting. like 6 hours so you can do dinner and a movie!

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 12

[quote="bakerbear"] OR I was also thinking we could do a trade where I do the cake and then get a free night of babysitting (I pay her $10 per hour normally).

Wow, I'm living in the wrong state / area. My fee is $3.50 per hour , more for weekends and nights. Watching kids is a lot of work for the pay. I'd rather trade and watch your child than part with my hard earned meager income.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 12

Sounds like a trade is good for all involved.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone!

I think I will go the trade route...the more I think about it the more it makes sense!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 12

I'd give her the option of a trade - don't automatically assume that's what will work best for her. Because you never know if someone else is paying for the cake or if the shower is a group effort.

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 12

I think offering a trade is a good idea, but be careful. I just saw another forum topic where someone's trying to trade their old couch for a free wedding cake! I know how much I hate it when someone tries to get my (cake)services for a bargain (or free!). I guess in this case the babysitting is her services. I'd quote her a price, but then follow up with a babysitting trade.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 12

Very well put seskenn!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 12

I do this with my hairdresser all the time! I think it works out great. Actually, I'm all about a trade. Highlight and cut for cake. I had a friend who does websites do mine for a trade. My babysitter for her sweet 16 cake. As long as it's a trade you're both comfortable with and no ones' getting shorted, go for it!!! Now as far as the old couch......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%