Need Help For Writing On A Cake

Decorating By crisseyann Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:03am by LittleLinda

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

I am am making a baby shower cake for a friend this week. It will be a half sheet with a fondant onesie and booties on it. I am icing this in buttercream. I have REALLY bad writing and am wondering if anyone has any advice (other than practice! LOL ) for me on on how make this look good. It seems the harder I try, the worse it looks.

I was considering fondant lettering, but I don't have cutters small enough to make it look right for this size cake. Has anyone ever tried hand-cutting fondant, with a sharp knife, of course, and attaching them this way? I was able to print out the font and lettering from my computer.

How about Royal lettering? I read in the recipe section that this can be done. Has anyone tried this technique? I once tried lettering using candy melts and had a bit of difficulty with having my chocolate at the right temperature. (My X-box cake in photos)

I have an extruder. Do you think small ropes of fondant would work for the lettering? I am just really unsure of how any of these techniques would look.

I am hoping some of you talented people could steer me in the right direction. Thanks so much!


10 replies
DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 11

what about a square piece of fondant? Let it dry. Then write on it with edible markers, like a pen.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 11

I think any of those would work. I also have bad writing skills when it comes to cakes. I think anything that you can print out and put wax paper over will work for the media you want to use. This way you have a template to go from. Good luck.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 11

The extruder sounds like it would be interesting...I wouldn't mind trying that one myself if I had one. Other than that, can you print out a pretty font on the computer and do something like a transfer with piping gel--like in Wilton course 1?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 11

If you cake is buttercream, print out the wording in mirror image. Lay wax paper over paper, then go over with royal, then set paper on cake and slowly pull off. The royal will stick to your frosting.

I saw this technique on another website.

If you PM you e-mail address I can send to you..

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

i have cut out things i needed with a knife out of fondant but not letters i have the fondant small letters from wilton they are metal and i have used them before and i also have the alphabet ones that are plastic from wilton they do really good since its on BC icing these could be used i got mine at Micheals i think Hobby Lobby has them as well Hope this helps

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 11

I often do words with Royal Icing ahead of time.

Just print off the size/font you want, leaving a space between each letter (easier to wipe clean if you need to). Then tape to a cookie sheet. Cover that with a piece of waxed paper and pipe with royal icing directly onto your waxed paper, directly over the letter. Let it dry for a few days and then take off the waxed paper and position on your cake. Really easy.

I usually make sure I have one extra of each letter, although I rarely have to use them.

Good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 11

Go to the nearest dollar store and see what they have in plastic stencils. I found and bought a bunch of them from the school supply section. They do come in handy from time to time. I have lousy handwriting now, because of arthritis, so I have used stencils with petal dust and vodka. Works fine. Just fill in here and there later on.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 11

I have seen it when done when you print out what you want it to say in the font and size you want. then take a tack and punch small holes on the words. the holes will be raised on the back side and then (as long as your bc is crusting) all you have to do is gently press the backside on the cake. then trace to stencle it made with bc or royal. I hope that makes sense to you.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 11

how about one of those wilton pressers? you can get them in script, block letters, and a few others, i think. you just spell out what you want it to say (backwards) and slide the letters into the holder. then press it into the frosting and write over it with your frosting.

good luck!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #11 of 11

I find it easier to print than to do it in cursive. You can measure each letter to the last one and they stay straight. The smaller the writing, the more even it looks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%