Ever Not Seen The Flaw Until You See The Pic Of The Cake?

Decorating By tobycat Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 3:48pm by Candes

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 28

Okay, so I made a cake that I thought looked great (not perfect, mind you), but I didn't see any major issues. Then I saw the picture....

and there's a FLAW that was so stinkin' obvious!

Why does this happen? icon_confused.gif

Why can't I notice these things BEFORE THE CAKE LEAVES THE KITCHEN??? icon_mad.gificon_redface.gif

Okay, I know it's not the end of the world, and it's not really that bad, but it just bugs me that I didn't even notice it! This has happened a couple of times before, and it's sooooo annoying! Thanks for listening to me vent.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

S.

27 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 28

I hate when that happens too. What if you take a picture of it, wait a while, and review the picture... before you deliver?? Just a thought...

I love your cake, by the way... the tree looks sooooooo realistic!! Great job!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 28

You have got to be kidding me. I'm sorry - I am sure your angst is extremely valid - from the obsessive point of view of a cake artist. I do understand - but I am SURE they didn't see this - because I didn't until you said what you thought was wrong icon_smile.gif.
Even after you pointed it out, it still looked great - really. We are way too hard on ourselves. It was a lovely cake and I'm sure they thought it was perfect.

dewia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewia Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 28

Yeah.. I know what you mean... But don't worry.. I don't think they will notice this. I didn't notice it at first until you mentioned it. I think it still looks great. Take it easy on yourself.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 28

Everytime I look in the mirror and see what I really look like compared to what I think I look like. icon_surprised.gif

Your cake still looks good though.

tobycat Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:47am
post #6 of 28

Oh, now I'm a little embarrassed! icon_redface.gif I didn't mean for this to be a pep talk thread....I honestly wasn't fishing for compliments. In this smaller pic, it's not that obvious -- I can see that. It was just that when I saw the bigger version of the pic on my computer screen, it just glared out at me -- and it completely shocked me that I didn't see it before.
I really appreciate everyone's support, but I only put the pic up to show what I was talking about. I don't dislike my cake -- I felt and still do feel really good about it. I just wondered if others had this happen to them.

S.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:52am
post #7 of 28

ok i'm a perfections too and this has happened to me especialy with the icing cracking when the cake is moved....BUT I still can't see the flaw ur talking about... SO here's to you I have a found person that is a bigger perfectioninst than me...may god give you patiece b/c i know its hard lol

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
GL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #8 of 28

sweetreasures.. you are so funny ! I do that every day. I look in the mirror, And I think to myself ( outloud )Thats not how I feel, like I look! Oh well maybe the mirror will show somethink different tomorrow ! LOL! sonoma9... Your cake looks great! Even after you pointed out the small flaw I had to look for it !

tobycat Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika513x2

ok i'm a perfections too and this has happened to me especialy with the icing cracking when the cake is moved....BUT I still can't see the flaw ur talking about... SO here's to you I have a found person that is a bigger perfectioninst than me...may god give you patiece b/c i know its hard lol

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
GL

The problem is that on the left side of the lower railing of the fence - it doesn't line up evenly with the other side. I can see it here, but it's not as obvious as when the picture is huge on the screen. Maybe that's why I didn't see it in real life? In any case, if you could see it when it's as big as the monitor, you'd see why I started this -- it just looked so crooked -- my DH even mentioned something. In this smaller pic, it doens't look like much of anything.

Boy oh boy -- I just wish this post had gone the way I intended. Oh well, live and learn.

(Hmm -- now I'm being a perfectionist about my threads -- lol icon_wink.gif )

S.

tobycat Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #10 of 28

sorry double post

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #11 of 28

I uploaded a cake to my site today and realized that I didn't dot the I in the recipient's name! Like yours, not a huge deal and its not like the customer said anything but yeesh did I not even look at the thing? lol

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #12 of 28

Happens to me all the time!! How do I not notice those things with the cake right in front of me, you'd think right? haha

Just know you're not alone!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #13 of 28

sonoma - don't be embarrassed about the comments back!!!! You shouldn't be - we DO understand how you feel - I can't tell you how many times I've hated a cake the customer loved. It's the nature of the beast.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #14 of 28

Happens to me all the time....but, we are always looking at it from a VERY critical perspective.
As long as the customer was happy, that's all that matters. icon_smile.gif

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:59am
post #15 of 28

I was just thinking how this never happens to me, NO I just notice every tiny flaw from the second I create them. Then they keep nagging at me until I no longer have a choice and give the cake to whom ever its for with my head bowed in shame, only to have them never notice a single flaw. I looked at your tree cake, assuming that's the one your talking about and thought I should let you know that I didn't see any flaws and I thought it was gorgeous. I guess this is just one of those things we all have to get used to and accept. Do you think Da Vinci looked at the Mona Lisa and thought "I hope no one notices the smile is a little off".

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 28

Happens to me all the time. I have one cake pic where I did a reverse shell border I though looked really nice at the time. I took a look at the picture and I had done 3 shells in the same direction..of course right in front, dead center.

I know it's not a big deal, but it still bugs me! icon_lol.gif

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:21pm
post #17 of 28

Dont worry Im sure the cake is still beautiful, dont be to hard on yourself.

Besides to the non-cake decorator eyes they probably will never notice. If the customer loved it, than you know you did a wonderful job.

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50

Happens to me all the time. I have one cake pic where I did a reverse shell border I though looked really nice at the time. I took a look at the picture and I had done 3 shells in the same direction..of course right in front, dead center.

I know it's not a big deal, but it still bugs me! icon_lol.gif

I used to do a lot of technical writing (wait, this is related to the topic), and I constantly made typos, left out words, transposed things, etc. I would read and re-read everything but never catch the error.

Finally a co-worker told me to read the work out loud and âlistenâ rather than âseeâ my written words.

IT worked! The co-worker explained that your mind âseesâ what should be there and not what is actually there. By reading the words out loud (and you really need to read out loud, not just in your head), you bypass your mindâs autocorrecting abilities.

I imagine the same thing is happening with your cake. Your mind sees the symmetry that it thinks should be there. But when you look at a photo you bypass the mindâs autocorrect and see what is actually there.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #19 of 28

Yep. Honestly. I ALWAYS have my DH as my second pair of eyes. And as my 3rd pair I ask my 8 yr old DD. Because seriously, kids have no censorship. She'll point to something and be very blunt! "Mom is that SUPPOSE to look like that' or "You missed a spot" Gee...thanks. icon_confused.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #20 of 28

Glad you pointed out what was wrong because I kept looking at it trying to figure it out. icon_lol.gif I don't think that is a flaw. Just looks like the work of some of the people I have hired to do carpenter work for me. icon_lol.gif Seriously, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Do you ever find that the longer you look at a cake sitting there waiting to be picked up, the more you dislike your work? I did an anniversary cake Sat. to sit on my 3 tier Wilton stand. They weren't to pick it up until Sun. after church. By the time they arrived, I had found every flaw imaginable. I wanted to start all over.

Diane

tobycat Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks, everyone, for saving my thoughts about this thread....I was serioulsy thinking that it looked like I was just fishing for compliments.

I agree that it's what the mind wants to see because that's how the mind sees it. It just blows my mind that I see the pic and it literally jumps out at me! The few other time this has happned has to do with the straightness of a border -- how off they have looked in the pics sometimes! This one just took me completely by surprise because I was just so sure.

Also, glad to know that I'm not alone on this one.

S.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:29pm
post #22 of 28

Always. I think photos are cruel. I did a shower cake a couple of weeks ago and everyone was falling all over themselves to see it, including the owner of the cafe/bakeshop where we had it, telling me how wonderful it was. However, in the photos, the cake looks lopsided, sloppy, and a right old mess. It's embarrassing.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #23 of 28

I think what happened to the "off" side of the fence is the tree roots are starting to force the fence crooked. icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

lionladydi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #24 of 28

Just called my girlfriend to ask how my cake was yesterday. It was for her sister's 50th anniversary. She didn't order it (her niece did) but she went to the reception. Anyway, right after I asked how the cake was, my cell phone died. It was one of those "moments" like the commercial where she tells her husband she is pregnant. I was in a panic by the time I got her back on the phone and she was falling over laughing. She raved about it and said it tasted wonderful and looked beautiful. She's my best friend so she probably wouldn't tell me if it was bad. icon_lol.gif Anyway, my point is that maybe the flaws I found weren't so bad after all.

I kept looking at your photo trying to figure out if one of the leaves was bad or the border was off or what. Still can't believe I didn't see that fence.

Diane

tobycat Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

I think what happened to the "off" side of the fence is the tree roots are starting to force the fence crooked. icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Oh, I like how you think! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

S.

lionladydi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

Oh, I like how you think! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

S.

ME TOO!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #27 of 28

I tend to notice flaws in my cakes the following morning. I decorate at night when the children are in bed, and think the cake looks fine when I start to clear up, but when I look at it in daylight - I can see lumps and bumps!!!

Luckily, as someone else has said, these flaws don't seem to be seen by others (generally anyway!!!)!

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:48pm
post #28 of 28

I feel your pain. You had no control over that root growth icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%