Timing For Mmf Application

Decorating By CristinaB Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 2:31am by CristinaB

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 4

Just wondering how far in advance I can cover a buttercream frosted cake with MMF. I'd like to frost the cake and put the fondant on tonight (Sunday) and finish putting the layers together and affixing the final decorations on Tuesday. Will the fondant hold up that long? If so, should it be covered with plastic so it won't dry out (or will this just make it soggy)? Also, do you refrigerate your BC covered cakes before applying the fondant? There are so many conflicting instructions, I just want to do it right! Many thanks!!!

3 replies
Cherylmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylmm Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

i'd like to know more info on this too.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #3 of 4

I once did a MMF covered cake (my course 3 final cake). I baked it Sun & covered it in the MMF Monday morning. Decorated it Mon evening. However then I brought it home and stored it until Friday which is when we ate it. And it was awesome - cake and fondant all held up great & tasted great.

I DID store it in the fridge from Mon evening until Fri - for 2 reasons - keep it fresher for sure but also cause it was warmer weather. However I've made fondant covered cakes that I've left on the counter a day. Works fine - the fondant seals in the cake. My BC icing under it was no butter, no milk (all shortening) so there were no perishables in it.

That said, if you do refrigerate it, you will likely get condensation once you bring it out - which makes the fondant sweat/shiny. If you look in my pics I did this with my hello kitty cake. I didn't put the dots and hearts on until after it was in the fridge overnight. I had to get it back in there right after (VERY HUMID/HOT day!) as the dots were going to run from the condensation. In the fridge it "dries" that condensation...until you bring it out again icon_smile.gif

Ok so maybe that's more info than you wanted icon_smile.gif Oh but also I don't refrigerate my bc iced cake pre-fondant. I level, fill, stack and crumb coat it then immediately roll out my fondant and slap it on icon_wink.gif So far so good...

Steph

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Steph! That's all VERY helpful! No humidity problems here at the moment (I think it's supposed to be 48 and sunny tomorrow!), so I'll be able to leave it out. I'll be following pretty much the same schedule you just described as your experience. I'll get it all together tomorrow and do the final decoration that evening. Just wanted to make sure that the fondant wouldn't get all soggy on top of the BC for a few extra days. At this point, it'll only be 1! I'm excited to put it all together! I'll be sure to check out your pictures too!

Cris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%