Help With Eggs!!

Decorating By Charmed Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm by 7yyrt

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 9

I just finished putting my cake in the oven and oh boy I realized the expiration date for eggs was 26th of October,...and today is 28th....are the eggs still good or are they spoiled?
I don't want people who will eat this cake become sick icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Please tell me if the cake will be safe to eat icon_eek.gif
Thanks

8 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 9

I think the eggs are fine. If you have any of the eggs left, that aren't cracked. You can place the uncracked egg in a glass of water if it sinks to the bottom it's fine, if it floats, it's bad.
I believe the eggs are good about a week past their expiration date.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 9

http://www.eggs.ca/nutrition/faqs/safety.asp

I have attached a link with very helpful information regarding eggs. To answer the immediate question: as long as you have kept your eggs refrigerated, they had no cracks to allow air to reach them, there should be no problem.

The older an egg gets, the dryer it becomes. The proteins break down and the whites are pretty much useless for meringue. The float test will tell you the approximate freshness of the egg: if it lays flat on the bottom of a bowl of room temp tap water it is the freshest. As it ages, it will "stand up" ...older still it will be suspended in the water. If it is floating on the top - I'd discard it and use different eggs.

Oh...and the eggs you float? You should use them right way. Eggs should not be washed and placed back in the fridge. The water removes some of the protective natural coating on the shell and allows the pores of the shell to be vulnerable and more receptive to bacteria and odors.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both so very much thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 9

Most eggs have the date that they were packaged, not expire. Did you just buy them?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #6 of 9

Thank you, TractorDiva, for that interesting site about eggs.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:48am
post #7 of 9

Interesting info on eggs. I've recently noticed that individual eggs are being stamped with an expiration date.

7yyrt Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 9

Found this - The Egg Safety Center provides scientifically accurate information on food safety issues related to eggs.

What does the date on the egg carton mean?

Egg cartons with the USDA grademark must display a âJulian dateâ*, the date the eggs were packed. Although not required, they may also carry an expiration date beyond which the eggs should not be sold, but are still safe to eat. On cartons with the USDA grademark, this date can not exceed 30 days after the eggs were packed in the carton. Depending on the retailer, the expiration date may be less than 30 days. Eggs packed in cartons without the USDA grademark are governed by the laws of their states.

*Julian date: usually on the short side of the carton, represents the consecutive days of the year with the number 001 as January 1 and December 31 as 365.

How long are eggs safe to eat after purchase?

Fresh shell eggs can be stored in their cartons in the refrigerator for four to five weeks beyond the cartonâs Julian date with minor loss of quality. Once an egg begins to age, it loses moisture through its porous shell and begins to dry. The membranes that hold the egg structure begin to loosen and the yolk may not be anchored in the center of the white once the egg is broken. An older egg would be most appropriate for a mixed dish, a batter or a hard cooked egg which should be easier to peel than a freshly laid egg.

7yyrt Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

Found this - The Egg Safety Center provides scientifically accurate information on food safety issues related to eggs. http://www.eggsafety.org/index.htm

What does the date on the egg carton mean?

Egg cartons with the USDA grademark must display a âJulian dateâ*, the date the eggs were packed. Although not required, they may also carry an expiration date beyond which the eggs should not be sold, but are still safe to eat. On cartons with the USDA grademark, this date can not exceed 30 days after the eggs were packed in the carton. Depending on the retailer, the expiration date may be less than 30 days. Eggs packed in cartons without the USDA grademark are governed by the laws of their states.

*Julian date: usually on the short side of the carton, represents the consecutive days of the year with the number 001 as January 1 and December 31 as 365.

How long are eggs safe to eat after purchase?

Fresh shell eggs can be stored in their cartons in the refrigerator for four to five weeks beyond the cartonâs Julian date with minor loss of quality. Once an egg begins to age, it loses moisture through its porous shell and begins to dry. The membranes that hold the egg structure begin to loosen and the yolk may not be anchored in the center of the white once the egg is broken. An older egg would be most appropriate for a mixed dish, a batter or a hard cooked egg which should be easier to peel than a freshly laid egg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%