Having Trouble With Paper Cupcake Liners :(

Decorating By SueW Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm by Trottie

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 8

All of a sudden everytime I put in the liner and fill it with batter the liner buckles in toward the batter leaving the outside rim of the cupcake looking like a jagged line. I don't know what has changed but it happens ot me all the time now. Instead of nice round cupcakes they are looking like they have points all around. Does that make sense? Any ideas how to fix this? When I try to push the liner back toward the pan it just pushes into the cupcake again and looks so messy. All I can think of is lately I have been using cute liners with pictures not just the pastel type from the food store, hmmmmmmm. Any ideas icon_confused.gif

7 replies
mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 8

Actually, it sounds as if the diameter of the bottom of the cupcake liner is too big for your pan.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 8

I know just what you mean! I have found the foil cupcake liners to be much nicer all around for me.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 8

Yup. I had the trouble too and post the same question a while ago and found out that yes, my liner is too big for my pan. I did try just setting the liner in the opening and not squishing it down and using a ice cream scoop, filling the liners that way. Seems like the weight of the cupcake batter will make the liner fit the opening better. MOST of my cupcakes, second time around, came out much better.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 8

I baked 14 doz cupcakes last week and it happened to me a lot, especially when I was getting to the last few of the liners in a package. I used the liners that are packaged in the plastic bag (Wilton) and not in the plastic cup package (Reynolds). I really think that the plastic bag they're packaged in don't help keeping the liners in the correct shape and size. The bag allows for the liners to "warp" (not the right word) and they don't stay nice and tight like the plain, undecorated liners that are packaged in the cup. I really think the packaging has everything to do with it.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 8

I got a question about cupcake liners myself...Every time i bake cupcakes they stick to the cupcake liners. Am i supposed to spray the liners or something or what? The cupcakes always tear apart when its time to eat them.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 8

i, too, have cupcake pans that are too small for my cupcake cups on the bottom. i have both a metal pan (from the grocery store) and a silicon pan that have this problem. i got fed up and quit using the paper cups all together.

Trottie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trottie Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 8

Try putting the liners in your pan and heating them in the oven for a few minutes and then add your batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%