Antonias Cookie Icing Help

Baking By calebsmom45 Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 5:24am by cheflish

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #1 of 10

I am going to make a bunch of cookies for my son's class and I would like to try this icing. I usually use mmf and have tried tobas glaze but made a runny mess. I only have an old mixer with one attachment, regular beaters. It says that you have to use the paddle attachment to make it. Is this absolutely necessary or can I get around that. Also does it taste better than royal icing and does it dry hard. Thanks for the help!

9 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #2 of 10

Antonia's icing is royal icing, as far as I can tell. I use my whisk attachment, so I'm sure your beaters will be fine, just make sure to let it sit for a while so the air bubbles settle. I don't like it on its own, but it tastes great on cookies. It dries hard.

I didn't have any luck with Toba's either. I love Antonia's recipe!

CindyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyM Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:48am
post #3 of 10

I have a stand mixer, but don't have a paddle attachment and make this icing all the time. I just use the regular beaters for 10 minutes - no problems.

calebsmom45 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:35am
post #4 of 10

So it is the same as royal icing? So no grease, yada yada? I hate that part!!! Does it work good for details on mmf? or should I just use it to flood cookies? Thanks for yalls help!

calebsmom45 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:44am
post #5 of 10

Does it taste better than RI also? Sorry forgot that!

calebsmom45 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 10

Anyone else have any tips for making the icing? Is it the same as royal? Taste good? Sorry to bug but I really want to try new things but if it is the same as RI I might just stick with mmf! Thanks guys!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 10

When I make it, it turns out thick and I have to thin it a bit, even for piping designs. It's perfect for piping on fondant/MMF.

I don't know what the difference is between Antonia's RI and regular RI.

CindyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyM Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 10

Antonia's icing isn't as rock hard as regular royal, so doesn't hurt your teeth to bite into, but is hard enough to stack and ship without any problems. You change the consistency with powder sugar to stiffen and water to flood. It doesn't have a strong flavor, which I like because it doesn't over power the cookie. And so far - all my customers rave about the taste of my cookies! Some people add flavorings to it - I've thought about it, but never tried it. If something's working, why change it?!

calebsmom45 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone!

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 5:24am
post #10 of 10

I LOVE Antonia's icing! I think it tastes great on NFSC.

It works really well on MMF for detail work - and, yes - it is like RI, so you want to keep grease out of it when you are making it...

I usually do add a bit of flavoring...

Good luck!!!
Lish

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%