Hu Hum.......

Decorating By noosie Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm by noosie

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 9

I've spoken and seen other threads about people in ruts, but WOW I am really having a tough time getting out of this one. I've even shied away from CC for the past two months or so. Just have no motivation, enthusiasm completely fizzled out. Aaaaah, what is wrong with me????? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I will never be successful with this kind of attitude. You always see the relentless drive and ambition successful decorators and professionals alike have that push them to achieve.

Sorry, not really sure if this is the place for my vent. I am completely humiliated that after all my talk to friends and family about pursuing this seriously, even switching careers I am left with such a blah feeling about the whole thing. I have 4 projects coming up next week and where I normally would be thinking and planning about them night and day, I just find something else to distract me.

Thanks for listening.

8 replies
meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 9

Oh, I'm sorry to hear you are down! Don't get disgouraged. I looked at your gallery and you do some neat stuff! I think everyone gets into a rut every now and then. I second guess what I'm doing all the time! But I look through cake books, and come to CC for inspiration to keep me going.

Maybe try something new with cakes you have always wanted to do but just haven't. A unique carved cake, a gravity defying cake... It will keep you busy and give you a boost. If you don't feel like it, do something that will get your spirits up. You will find the love of cake again!

God bless!

Melanie

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9

Can you take a complete break for a little while - like a month or two or even longer - to get back some of your enthusiasm?

For one thing, I think it is really difficult to have a "day" job and then spend a lot of time pursuing cake decorating after hours. So do not be discouraged if you are considering a career change. It still may be a great decision for you - I just think it is different if your full time day job is cakes/pastries instead of getting burned out when it is more of a time-consuming after hours pursuit, along with running a house/family/life at the same time.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 9

I am in the same situation (minus the shy-ing away from CC icon_wink.gif ). I did my first wedding cake last September and it was extremly stressful. Although I did learn a lot from it.. it left me with a Need to have a break. I had to make my nephew a cake a couple weeks ago, and I'm making a Halloween one for tomorrow and my heart is just not in it. I have 3 wedding cakes for next year for friends, which I need to start practicing.. however it is honestly the last thing I want to do right now. I do have a lot going on right now.. working full time and school part time.. so that really doesn't leave me much time for anything else. But I am hoping to get out of this rut soon. Hang in there! And if you find the magic cure.. do share!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 9

I've been through something similar recently.

Normally, I'm all excited when I have projects coming up, but when it came time to get things done in advance, I just shrugged it off until the last minute. I even dreaded it for a bit.

Once I DID get started, I got really into it, knowing I had deadlines looming, and people were counting on me. I couldn't let them down, and I knew I could do it.

My humble advice would be to just push through it, get into the kitchen and start something. Doesn't matter what it is, I don't think. You'll get that good feeling back, I'm sure!

Hang in there, and let us know how you do.

~ Scott

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 9

I just looked at your website! I love the skunk cake! Peeew-tiful!!! icon_smile.gif

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9

Noosie, It seems that you need a good long vacation. Everyone experiences 'burn out' in whatever they do. Take a vacation or get yourself absorbed into something totally different to get your mind off of it. I was looking through your gallery and your cakes are great! I did notice that they are mostly very tedious, very detailed or otherwise labor intensive cakes. Maybe just do some easier cakes for awhile.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 9

I think I know how you feel because I'm going through the same thing. I looked into getting a business started and talked to friends and family but then one day I just couldn't fathom spending all that money and doing even more work. I already bake enough cake for at least 100 people every week and it's stressing me out. I was embarrassed too about telling people I decided not to get a business going and they were disappointed, but not in me, but because they wouldn't get my cakes. I've stopped taking orders for a while because I needed a break but the ironic thing is that now I have all the cake designs I'm planning to try out while on my "break" but without the stress of making them for a huge party of people. I'm also going to focus on learning how to make gumpaste flowers because I've been wanting to do that.
I hope you find a way to get out of your rut. your cakes are cool. Maybe pursue a different hobby for a while?

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks all. I always wanted to go into business for myself, but for one reason or another it just seemed to never be the right time. I guess I just worry that something I have always professed to be my "passion" is not so exciting right now. I wish I can say it's burn out but I average about 2 projects a month. I stopped advertising until I finish obtaining all the appropriate licenses required in the county I live in. I have even gone so far as turning down relatively simple cakes because I am just "not in the mood".

With Halloween coming up I am really hoping that some of the things I plan on making for my children's classes will spark the fever again. Wish me luck and thanks again for listening and the supportive words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%