Sugar Free Desserts For Diabetic Clientele

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm by superstar

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

I have a lady who would like to order some desserts for her upcoming holiday parties. She is a huge fan of "anything chocolate" but is also a diabetic. Does anyone out there have some good/TNT sugar free chocolate dessert recipes you mind sharing with me?

5 replies
auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

Go to www.splenda.com. this is the site that I use to get recipes for people at work who are diabetic.

Also, if you go to the recipes section here, there are a couple of diabetic cakes and frostings. Never used them, but you can try.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 6

Wouldnt you know it, I find the one lady who does not want Splenda in her foods because of a digestive issue...

I may just have to say NO to this one...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

I found that baking with splenda doesn't work too well because the flavor changes when it's heated, and it doesn't behave like sugar does so it changes the texture of the cake. I tried some out on my kids and they took one bite and said "this isn't good..."

I find, though, that you can eliminate some of the sugar from some recipes and even though the texture is affected, it isn't too bad. I have a chocolate cake recipe that I just cut the amount of sugar in half, and it still comes out okay, just a little more bittersweet. If you have a recipe you like try that. The American Diabetes Association says that you can still eat a small amount of sugar if you're diabetic, you just have to not eat the whole thing! She should be able to have some, just not all of it. Or you could just tell her you can't do it and save yourself some aggravation, but with all of the people being diagnosed with diabetes these days it might be worth it to have some recipes you know will work.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

It's all in what you use as a sweetner. I absolutley swear by Whey-Low.
It acts just like sugar when baking. It does not draw moisture from the recipe, but like real sugar actually increases it and it browns as well.

There's no real secret to my sugar-free baking except subbing in the Whey-Low for the sugar. Depending on how healthy you want to make it for the diabetic, you could use egg subsitute and some whole grain flours for all or part of the flour in the recipe.

The really awesome news about Whey-Low?? It comes in granulated, brown and powdered sugars!

It can be found at www.wheylow.com

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 6

This is interesting, can you buy it in the grocery shops?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%