Covering A Tall, Narrow Cake With Fondant? Any Tips??

Decorating By stacey000 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 3:18am by sportsmom005

stacey000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey000 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hi - I am planning to make a Go Diego Go rescue pack cake (simplified version!) for my nephew. I want it to look like a back pack standing upright. I am going to stack cakes about 8- 9" high and carve to about 6" width, 4 - 5" depth. It will be similar to some purse cakes I've seen on this site, maybe taller.

I am nervous about covering the cake with fondant (I've only used fondant once before) because the sides will be the larger area rather than the top, like a traditional cake. Am I attempting too much? I'd really like to try to have it stand up rather than be flat to the board.

Any advice at all?? Btw, I'm still not sure if i am going to try and make MMF or just go with Wilton/Satiin Ice. Do you think one would be better for this type of thing?

Thanks!!
LL

7 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 8

I only use MMF so I'm biased but think MMF would be just fine! icon_rolleyes.gif My suggestion is to raise the cake off the table using a Crico can or something similar. This will help pull the fondant down. Also, work from the bottom up for the sides. I find this helps keep the fondant from bunching at the bottom since I'm not forcing it all down. Also, fluff the fondant out for each side area you work on. If there's any bunching, fluff it out then work from the bottom up. Fluff, fluff, and fluff some more!

stacey000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey000 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your advice! Raising the cake sounds like a good idea. I am going to try to use MMF. I say try because I am making it for the first time, so hopefully it comes out ok.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 8

I did a column cake and it required two layers of different colored fondant. It was 10" tall and 5" in diameter. It turned out lumpy but that wasn't due to the fondant application process. They were caused by too much filling, icing and not giving the cake time to settle.

I found I could roll the fondant out on some vinyl and cut the shape I needed, making sure the corners were square and the top and bottom were straight and parallel. I used a triangle and measured everything. I used a quilting cutting matt under the vinyl for a guide. I then placed a piece of vinyl on top to match up exactly with the bottom of the fondant. I could then stand up the fondant still attached to the vinyl and attach it to the cake, while gently peeling away the fondant. This was then easy to smooth and attach. There was a seam down the back but that was later camouflaged by the second layer of fondant. With the backpack design you could make the seam at a seam. I was repo'ing a cake by a designer whose directions said the turn the cake on its side and roll it up in the fondant - my method worked much better.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 8

NOt sure if you might need a centre dowel or something like that to help with stability for the height you want to make it.

Or if you would need cakeboards between a couple of levels.

Sounds like fun though! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 8

I can't wait to see this cake...my son loves Diego (well, actually he LOVES Dora, but there's not many boy options with Dora as far as toys and other stuff, so I steered him towards Diego) anyway...he would get such a kick out of this! I am trying desperately to find a Rescue Pack backpack for him , but no luck icon_cry.gif

I haven't worked with fondant yet, but it seems to me that if you had to hide a seam, you could do it on the side where the zipper is...I really have no idea, I'm just trying to be helpful icon_smile.gif

Please post pics when you're done!!!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 8

Personally I would cover th is cake in two pieces on either side since there is a seam in the middle of the backpack anyway. I find it easier to cover 3D cakes in pieces if possible.

Courtney

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #8 of 8

Btw, don't use Wilton...it tastes horrible!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%