Taking Backgrounds Out Of Pictures....help!

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 4:36am by superstar

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 15

I really want to learn how everyone is taking the backgrounds out of their pictures. I want my cakes to shine, not all the surroundings. I know many use a background board... But, I've got stacks of pictures that I would love to add to my website. And after going through millions of other websites...it's the ones without backgrounds that catch my eye. Or subtle backgrounds, almost blurred. I'm no photographer or computer wizard. I just hate when I see my pictures that I feel like there is too much going on around the cake. Any thoughts?

ps. I have photofiltre (by google) but, for the life of me can't figure out how to take the background out without removing parts of my cakes. I can watermark though ~ hooray!

14 replies
snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 15

If you are using photofiltre use the smudge tool. It is the one that looks like a finger pointing down. You can use that to smudge out your background and only leave the pic of your cake.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 15

No hlep here, but I would love to know the answer!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 15

I'm with you.........when I have any forethought whatsoever I put my cake on top of foam core board and stand another one up behind it.....makes it look much cleaner!!

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 15

in photoshop, I use the magnetic lasso tool to remove the background

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 15

I am not sure what type of tools you have but, there is the Adobe program where you can actually select only your cake and put it on a different background. There is also the smudge tool you can use, like stated before. Without seeing the program I am not sure what type of tools to use to get the effect. IMO, open a new page with some random photo and practice with all the tools they have available. That way you aren't accidentally messing up a nice photo!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 15

I don't know anything about the computer tools to get rid of backgrounds in existing photos, but what I did that I really think improved my photos is I went to the fabric store and purchased several swatches about 1 1/2 yards of different plain colors . It was not a big investment some of it was really cheap lining material that has a sheen to it. No matter what kind of a wreck the rest of the house is, I have a pretty background. I usually clear a space on the end of the table and put my barstool up there to drape the fabric on and let it puddle on the table. Then I put the cake on the fabric to take the picture.

orchidcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchidcakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 15

This is real simple. Go to your local Fabric Store, buy a yard of Black Velvet and/or grey Satin. Adhere these to a large piece of cardboard, Fold the cardboard in half. Place your cake on the bottom and the backdrop against something else, Now you have a beautiful cake on a piece of velvet, noting else in the way.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 15

icon_smile.gif I purchased a yard of black satin fabric and a cardboard project board.........viola! I now have a professional background.....just make sure you get your lighting right too. It has made all the difference in my pics........good luck! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 15

I forgot about the background and inadvertently had a huge office chair in every single one of my baby shower cake pics.....and it was my first time doing square tiers, so I was livid. I used Microsoft Digital Image Pro and then the 'clone' tool....I had to zoom way in and it took about 20 minutes but I was able to completely remove the chair from the background.

*** Must resist temptation to 'fix' little flaws on cake....which look fine from far away but were glaringly obvious when super-zoomed in icon_lol.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 15

For any of my pictures with a black background, I used a big piece of black polar fleece...it seems to be excellent for photography and I recommend it! What I do is hang it on the wall with a push pins at the top and then drape the material on to the table..place the cake on it and voila!!...

You can get a very cheap polar fleece blanket from Walmart for less than $10

HTH

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #12 of 15

I also have started photographing my cakes with a solid back drop made of satin fabric and foamcore board.

Pictures look so much better.
The fabric behind my pumpkins was black satin with silver glitter, Wanted it to look like twinkling night sky.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:15am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

Hi I use photoshop too, could explain in more details how I use this magnetic lasso tool? TIA

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:22am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

Hi I use photoshop too, could explain in more details how I use this magnetic lasso tool? TIA

I followed this tutorial:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_3aleaf.htm

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:36am
post #15 of 15

I guess I am off to Walmart to buy fabric etc. I also want to learn how to take away bad backgrounds of pictures I have already got. I am not smart with computers so will have to experiment. Thanks to everyone for sharing tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%