Grrrr... Worked So Hard On This, And Not A Decent Picture!

Decorating By lanibird Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm by lanibird

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 10

Please allow me to whine for a moment:

I made this cake for my youngest DD's 1st Birthday. It was actually the second of two for her (ended up having two smaller parties in two separate cities instead of one big one). The the bottom box and top cupcake were dummies, the middle box is Orange Butter Cake. Worked on this all week, with lots of stress, as those of you with small children know, making cakes with a 1 y/o and going on 3 y/o means stress and lots of late, late, late nights! icon_lol.gif Thought I was a genius by pre-cutting the fondant sides for the actually cake, so I could just put them on once the cake was baked, only to have the cake not rise high enough. I didn't have time to bake a new one to replace or to add another layer, and cutting the fondant down to make the box shorter would have looked silly, so I had to dowel the crap out of it, then lay the fondant top on top of some cardboard that went on top of the dowels to give the illusion of a "full box". Got most of it done, then had to transport it four hours to my parents where I could finish it up, adding the RI accents on the bottom (my absolute favorite part), and the dots on the middle tier. After I finish it up, the "cake adrenaline" I'd been running off of for the past two weeks went away, and I just zoned out icon_redface.gif and never took pictures of it myself. dunce.gif My Grandpa took several, and emailed me the best one, and it's good, but doesn't really do the cake justice. Oh well. At least there were some pictures taken.

Sorry for the whine and "pay attention to me" moment, but I had to vent to people who would understand. icon_biggrin.gif

If you would like to see it, here is a link to the cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1151434

/end whine icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 10

Fabulous cake!! But...holy cow...it's so beautiful, how in the world are you gonna top that for her 2nd birthday????? icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 10

The cake came out great! Be proud of it! I know it sucks not getting the perfect picture but its not a bad one.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 10

what a beautiful and special cake you did for your little one!!! I know it is not easy doing cakes (or anything for that matter) when you have little people under foot....beautiful under any circumstances!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 10

Wow!! What a cool cake!

Kathi

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 10

The cake looks great! The photo really isn't that bad, better then many I have seen. Once again, great job on the cake!

lanibird Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #7 of 10

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. It's always such a boost to get aknowledgement from such talented people!

kwdonlon - lol, I think next year I might have to channel Duff and add some moving parts, fireworks, or something! icon_lol.gif

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:57am
post #8 of 10

I tried to fix your photo for you. Let's see if I can get it posted.
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #9 of 10

That is a really beautiful cake. So many wonderful details, I can't pick on one, they are all great.

lanibird Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 10

Thank your for the picture editing estherhead, it does improve it a bit. thumbs_up.gif

superstar, thank you for your nice comments. I wish I had a close-up of the bottom; the "tissue paper" and RI accents were my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%