Help With Baking

Decorating By newathis Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 3:15am by kimberlina25

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 8

i am baking a 12" square,and the first one was overbaked on the edges and just barely done in the middle, i have to bake the next one within a hour, no time to get heating core, and suggestions? oh 12"x2" not 3" icon_redface.gif

7 replies
OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 8

Pop in a couple of upside-down flower nails (greased).

This is a tip that I picked up from CC, and it works wonders on larger cakes, without leaving a huge hole as per heating cores.

That said, for a 12 x 12, I find I don't need flower nails if I wrap the tin in about 6 thicknesses of newspaper, this slows the cooking down, allowing the centre to cook before the sides get crispy!

Hope that helps!

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 8

thanks!! i just noticed a bunch of topics about this, that i read with some other helpful ideas...i better get to it

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:49am
post #4 of 8

if the outsides are overdone, and the middle is undercooked, i would suggest lower your oven 25 degrees.

Act1Events Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Act1Events Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:52am
post #5 of 8

For the larger cakes like 12" i bake 25 degress lower like Kimberly suggested and do the flower nail as well

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #6 of 8

This may be a silly question, but what is the best placement for the flower nails? I place them in the center and everytime, my center sinks icon_cry.gif

This is on my 10" and 12" square and rectangle. I have 2 nails each. Help!!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:02am
post #7 of 8

I must be the new thread killer...everytime I post a question or a reply, the thread goes dead... icon_cry.gif waaa...no one likes me anymore.... icon_cry.gif

icon_wink.gif

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

This may be a silly question, but what is the best placement for the flower nails? I place them in the center and everytime, my center sinks icon_cry.gif

This is on my 10" and 12" square and rectangle. I have 2 nails each. Help!!

its funny that you should mention this, because I have often wondered if the placement makes a difference. i place in the center, but i wonder if i placed it elsewhere if that would make a difference

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%