Looking For Honest Constructive Critisism On This Cake

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 1:38am by crazycakes2007

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 15

I'm looking for honest constructive critisism on this cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1148800

I have a few things that I don't like about it...but I'd like to hear from other cake decorators.

Thanks!

14 replies
Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 15

What dont you like about it. I think it is very cute. I love the details.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 15

Well, it is a little... freakin' awesome! What don't you like, I'm no expert but it looks great to me, I love the mouse, too.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 15

Wow! It's wonderful! I don't see a single thing wrong with it. But, if you're going to force me to say SOMETHING, I guess his arms could be more proportionate to his body and his hands rounded, rather than flat. But, honestly, neither of those things bother me in the least. The cake is perfect as it is.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 15

What is it you don't like? There is NOTHING wrong with this cake, you did an excellent job, I don't see how you could improve this one, it's perfect.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 15

that is crazy what an awesome job......I don't think the cake needs another thing...one thing you might do is put a little white dot on each of the eyes of the wizard to give his eyes a little more emotion but that's only if you're a totally crazy driven cake lady lol that cake is fantastic!!! I can't even believe it's cake!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 15

That is one awesome cake. The only thing I could possible critize is his shoulder area is a bit wide, perhaps if it were carved a bit more to make the upper chest blend in better with the shoulders. BUT!!! IT IS WONDERFUL just as it is. icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 15

OK, even my husband thinks that cake is wonderful. He could see no flaws and commented on the artistry. Smile, that is a great cake.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the honest feedback.

Well this was made for my step-father-in-law...and of course all my family said that it was great. But I just like to get feedback from others. At first I didn't like it. Then after a while I did. Then I put it on here and thought maybe it might be a popular cake here, but it's not. So then I got back to fixating on the flaws! I know I'm crazy, LOL!

One thing that bothered me was the fact that he is so fat, lol. I could have carved him down more...and like lapazlady said, his shoulders wouldn't have been so wide.

Also, the cake started "leaning" back! I was afraid that when I woke up I was going to come down to him laying on his back! And also his head was leaning quite a bit!

I used the Wilton dust...which is nothing compared to the dusts that they sell here on CC!

And his eyes...there's just something about them that I don't like...like KHalstead said, maybe if I put a white dot in them it would make it a little better.

Anyway, I just wanted to make a cake that really wow'd people. BUT I DID wait 'til the last minute (again)! And I know that if I would've started it earlier & worked on certain pieces throughout the week that it would've come out even better! I started this at around 4pm and finished around 5am!

Thanks again everyone!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazlady

OK, even my husband thinks that cake is wonderful. He could see no flaws and commented on the artistry. Smile, that is a great cake.

LOL Thank your husband for me too icon_smile.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 15

it's really a great cake...you did a very good job on this!!!
The only thing I could comment on is that perhaps his upper chest/shoulder areas could have been carved down a bit more..a little square but honestly, it is only because I am scrutinizing this....you should pat yourself on the back because it looks wonderful!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 15

Well if that didn't WOW people I don't think anything will. You did an awesome job!!!!!

BTW I miss your old avatar. I always felt like I was in your back seat having a conversation with you icon_biggrin.gif . But your new one is something to be proud of.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 15

wow, That is one of the books i do not having, i am ordering it. that is great.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 15

Well if I must say, your interpretation of the "Magical Wizard" is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The only thing that I can see is Debbie Brown had the wizards cape overlapping his shoulders and his wizards hat tip was tilted forward. Your cake is a outstanding interpretation of hers. Kudos. I love it.

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #15 of 15

Can I just ask how in the WORLD you work so small? I mean, do you have a mold or really tiny fingers or what? Amazing. Please do share a little for those of us only wishing we could try something like this! Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%