Need Simple But Awesome Cake Projects For Teaching Seniors

Decorating By gakali Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm by mgdqueen

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there. I've been asked to teach a cake decorating class at a local seniors' centre. icon_surprised.gificon_smile.gif I'm a little nervous about it, as I've never taught cake decorating before (I've only been decorating for about 2 years!). I'm thinking of doing a "make and take" class - the participants would have a list of what they would need to bring to make a particular project, and we would complete it in a 2-hour class (like Wilton's "Kakes for Kids"!). So, I need simple, fun cake ideas that can be completed by beginners in a 2 hour class!! Please help! The only idea I've thought of so far, is the Barbie in the bathtub cake which I've done a couple of times (thanks to AmyBeth for the idea!)....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=42198

Any ideas are welcome and very much appreciated!! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 4

I love the Barbie in bath idea. Please take into account that many of these people have arthritic hands and may not be able to roll fondant into balls or roll out a piece of fondant. Might want to have a few extras already made.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 4

I am teaching a group of high schoolers in a couple of months and am doing a cake with a bow (the "oval gift box" in my photos)

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 4

I think a simple version of a hatbox cake would be a great one to teach and would please the seniors very much. When you really get going and need to complete something in two hours, finishing Barbie might be very difficult...not to mention a lot of older people would find putting a doll in their cake very strange. I hope that doesn't sound mean...I don't intend it that way at all, but think of your age group and try to do something where you can teach "techniques" they can use later on, like a swirled effect on fondant if you want to use fondant, or how a certain tip can really dress up your design if using buttercream.

This sounds like a fun and wonderful challenge. It will be very rewarding to you and to them. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%