How Can I Smooth Ganache On Cake Sides?

Decorating By kathik Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm by messyeater

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake due at 1pm. I poured the ganache on to cover the top and sides but the sides still look a little "lumpy". Can I use the hot knife method to smooth the sides or will that affect the color? Please help me!!!

Thanks,
Kathi

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmm... there's a very small window of time when you can smooth the ganache right after it's poured. After that, it starts to set up and you get knife marks. You could try the hot knife. Just one swipe all the way around without stopping. What have you got to lose? Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 11

I've never tried to smooth ganache after it was poured but here's a couple of tips for the next time.

Be sure your base coat is perfectly smooth on the cake or the ganache will show all the little bumps.

Be sure the ganache is perfectly smooth before it's poured. Even a lump the size of a pinhead will slide down the side of the cake and your cake will look like you have a run in it (like a run in pantyhose!).

(Guess how I found out this stuff? icon_redface.gif )

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 11

That window of opportunity is about 2 minutes in my experience...Why not make another thin batch of ganache and give it another thin layer?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 11

I had the same problem with one of my cakes and I could'nt get it smooth so I just covered the sides w/ mini choco chips. Don't know if that would work for your cake but thought I'd share. Good Luck hope it works out! By the way I love ganache, I could eat it warm with a spoon

DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatedrummer

That window of opportunity is about 2 minutes in my experience...Why not make another thin batch of ganache and give it another thin layer?

I thought about that too, but the original bumps will still show through a second coat.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 11

I thought I read something just today about using a HAIRDRYER in that situation???

Maybe someone else knows what I think I read?

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 11

Not sure if this will work in your time frame, but you could just frost it with cool ganache. Then, the warm dry knife thing works great. Attached is a cake with cool ganache/warm dry knife trick. <<<Cheryl
LL

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone! My internet went out right after I asked my questions, and I think my husband thought I was going to really lose it (2 hours sleep due to this cake). Anyway, he STOPPED working to get my internet back up so I could see what you had to say.

In the meantime I tried the hot knife, it helped, but not a lot. So when I read the posts, I thought, a hairdryer, what have I got to lose? It worked!!! icon_lol.gif It's still not perfect, but it's so much closer! And as close as it's going to get on this cake! I'm off to pipe rosettes and deliver. Thankfully, I was able to push delivery back a half an hour.

Thank you guys! You're wonderful!
Kathi

DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I thought I read something just today about using a HAIRDRYER in that situation???

Maybe someone else knows what I think I read?

Oh yeah! I've heard about that trick, too. Never tried it. I can never remember the cool tricks when I really need them.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 11

Cool idea, I'll try that next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%