Need Apple Wedding Cake Help, Please

Decorating By flamingobaker Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm by aztomcat

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am at a loss what to do...the bride wants apple cinnamon cake. Most of the recipes seem to be for tube/bundt pans. How can I tell if it will work for layers/tiers?
I assume cream cheese icing will go best..can you tint and color that and work with it the same as buttercream?
Is a spice cake with maybe more cinnamon added going to taste like a cinnamon cake?
Also, a cake based off a cake mix would be wonderful!
Of course if the cake fairy came and baked it that would be wonderful, too! icon_wink.gif

4 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 5

You may have to do some trial and error.
I'm thinking a yellow cake mix with 1 tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of clove and nutmeg. Applesauce for half of the liquid, a stick of melted butter for the oil and adding about a cup of chopped apple that has been sauteed in butter and a half cup of apple juice.
Caramel buttercream would be my first choice. Or maybe a brown sugar SMBC. If you fill with cream cheese buttercream, use regular BC for icing and decorating. Much easier and will cut the heaviness of the icing.
HTH

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #3 of 5

I did a cinnamon cake for a baby shower last weekend. I used the WASC, but didn't use almond extract, only vanilla and added 3 Tbsp of cinnamon. It was good, could've used a little more i think...

For the filling I used Comstock apple pie filling, pulsed it a few times in the food processor to get small pieces and mixed with caramel ice cream topping (the thick kind). Dulce de leche would also work instead of caramel filling.

Frostingal - great idea about adding the apples to the batter!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

Mmmmm! Those ideas sound so tasty!
Thank you so much!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 5

I recently made apple cupcakes and used spice cake mix and added comstock apple pie filling slightly mashed (as beachcakes recommended). They were fantastic. I would definitely do a test cake maybe just an 8". I was under the same challenge for making a pumpkin spice wedding cake, all the recipes were either for bundt's or for bars. It worked out fine, I even added the cake mix extender from here. Very moist.

Here's a recipe from the cake mix doctor cookbook.

1 pkg spice cake mix
1 c sweetened applesauce
1/2 c buttermilk
1/3 c butter (room temp)
1/3 cup solid veg shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1tsp grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped peeled apple (maybe substitute comstock here)

Add the extender to this. Mix all ingredients except chopped apple or comstock. Once blended fold in the apple. Boor into greased pan. Bake in a 35 oven for 45-50 minutes. Cool for 20.

Hope this recipe helps. Ps When I did my test cake, I had the bride test taste it, because she was a friend, I told her I had never made the flavor she requested before.

Dee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%